Very high plate voltage EL34 amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2007, 06:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Very high plate voltage EL34 amp

Does anyone know of any amps or has anyone ever built an amp that uses excessive plate voltage on new production EL34's? I am converting an amp that supplies 680V plates and 335V for screens. I plan to use a quad of them in pentode per channel with a load of 4.5k-6k ohm, but I'm concerned if the (new production) tubes can take it, and also if they will sound OK running at such low current.

thanks,
Old 16th May 2007, 02:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nobody has any insight? Anybody ever use or build an amp with over 600V plates for new production EL34s? I was looking to use JJ/Tesla...anybody know if they can handle it?
Old 16th May 2007, 03:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

They claim they can.

http://www.jj-electronic.sk//pdf/E34L.pdf

I've run them up to 500V in triode mode which exceeds its g2 rating without any smoke or flames.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 16th May 2007, 05:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ya know, I just thought of this -- BOI audioworks can match a set for a requested operating point. So, you could tell them you want to run them at 680V plate / 330V screen / I mA idle current (keep it within reasonable plate dissipation limits, of course), and they should be able to set you up with a couple quads tested for that voltage.

They've hooked me up with two very-well-matched quads of KT66s that I basically requested for use at max plate dissipation

Hide this!Advertise here!