• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Very high plate voltage EL34 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know of any amps or has anyone ever built an amp that uses excessive plate voltage on new production EL34's? I am converting an amp that supplies 680V plates and 335V for screens. I plan to use a quad of them in pentode per channel with a load of 4.5k-6k ohm, but I'm concerned if the (new production) tubes can take it, and also if they will sound OK running at such low current.

thanks,

Ya know, I just thought of this -- BOI audioworks can match a set for a requested operating point. So, you could tell them you want to run them at 680V plate / 330V screen / I mA idle current (keep it within reasonable plate dissipation limits, of course), and they should be able to set you up with a couple quads tested for that voltage.

They've hooked me up with two very-well-matched quads of KT66s that I basically requested for use at max plate dissipation :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.