• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6gu7 a sub for 6cg7/6fq7?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a large stash of 6GU7's so I plugged one into the driver stage on my 300Beast amp, which uses 6FQ7's in SRPP. It sounded dull and lifeless. I tried a few different tubes with the same result. I did not try to optimize the circuit in any way, or even measure the currents to see what was going on. This does not imply that the 6GU7 sucks, only that it is not a drop in replacement for the 6FQ7.

The 6GU7 was used as a linear amplifier in the color circuits in TV sets. This implies that a good linear audio amp could be made from it. It may not be linear at the signal levels or bias currents that I was running.

Hmm. Are there any very close matches? Would something like a 7AU7 work instead? Seeing that most heaters run a little hotter than usual, is there any harm in plugging a 7AU7 where a 6CG7 one was? For example, in a Williamson EL34 amp I completed recently.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.