• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Nobu Shishido's 805 SET interstage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used toroidal power transformers as interstage transformers, but it brings issues and the result is compromised over what can be achieved with the more expensive proper interstage transformers.
Their expensive for a reason and you get what you pay for.

Shoog

nobu

Thank you dear friends for the feedback . My first project was an
Hiraga KT88SE , i am improving it since 1998 until today and i am
proud for the achievment ,and i will do the same with this project.
I spent 648 euros , all transformers custom wounded , included the black magic interstage . I am a believer ... Us (Not USA) or China's ready 805 SET power ... for €1000 ... what will be better ?

Regards

Martinho Adao

TugaTweaker said:
Is the Wavac 805 project possible without the specially wounded Tango # 10672 ? Can i use a normal wounded, but a lot bigger one or Lundahls 1660 ? Anyone succeded without the Tangos ?

M Adao

If your trans has no issues in the highs (early roll off, in-band resonances) wenn connected with the secondary in reverse polarity w.r.t. the primary and has sufficient primary inductance (mind. 35H), go for it.

Greetings
Konstantinos

EDIT: By the way, what is the black magic interstage?

By the way, what is the black magic interstage?

I would " " the black magic , i meant the special wound of the Tango IS #10672 . Thank you Schiller for your reply . Thats what the craftman said to me too . As long as the IS can keep bandwith ,and he says it will ... let me see ... hope he is right .
He told me to use a russian 6H30 instead of a WE-437A , the straight equivalence is a 6H45 , for those knowing the schematic , what do you think ?

Can't find any data on the WE 437,
I do know that the 6h30 is probably the most serious driver triode availble. A single valve will provide enough for a stereo amp Its equivalent to a 5687 with both triodes parallelled, which I am currently using as my interstage transformer driver.
I have absolutely no doubt that it will be more than up to the job - though it is expensive.

Shoog

TugaTweaker said:
Is the Wavac 805 project possible without the specially wounded Tango # 10672 ? Can i use a normal wounded, but a lot bigger one or Lundahls 1660 ? Anyone succeded without the Tangos ?

M Adao

I had used LL1660/18mA as IT in Shishido topology but with triode connected WE435 as pre tube and 6B4G as driver tube. The LL1660 wired in 2.25/1 configuration to handle upto 32 mA DC current from the driver tube.

Testing with approx 20mA bias for the driver tube and LL1660 was connected as IIT config., The overall results seem to be acceptable though the HF response seem to be compromised comparing to no reverse polarity connection on sec.

I have no chance to test with any IT which designed for IIT but guess it shold have the opposite results (best HF resp. at IIT but compromised for other way round) regardless of sonic quality.

hope this help,
Panu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.