• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

OB with.......well, TL Audio's iTUBE :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.first - i'm completly idiot in things tube amps :) so please dont slap me..... Was i wanted to ask is....how do you think could this amp (FATMAN iTUBE) work with DIY Open Baffle speakers? it probably sounds stupid, but i cant afford a tube amp for £1000....and this one costs only £300.I'm not interested in iPOD nor the dock (will throw it in the bin).But i would realy like to know what you think about this amp.
Thanks a lot.

P.S.: exceuse my english guys.

http://www.dragonaudio.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=988

Valve Type 2x6N1(ECC85) 1x6E2(EM87)

I've visitied your link about this iTube valve amplifier.
But, i can't understand how can it outputs 13W just with 2X6N1+8E2?

FeaturesiTube Vacuum Tube Amplifier
iTube Docking Station
Brush / Glove for cleaning
Power cable
Audio cable to connect Docking Station and Amplifier
Banana Plug speaker cables
Aux source audio cable for connecting CD player etc
Video cable to connect from docking station to TV

Specifications

iTube valve amp SpecificationsPower Output 13Wx2
Frequency Response 20Hz – 20KHz (±1.5Db)
Harmonic Distortion 0.5%
Signal-To-Noise Ratio 86Db
Input Impedance 100K
Output Impedance 4ohm, 8ohm
Valve Type 2x6N1(ECC85) 1x6E2(EM87)
Power Supply AC100~120V/50~60Hz AC220~240V/50~60Hz
Amp (LxWxH) 260x145x130mm
Dock (WxDxH) 155x130x123mm
Weight 4.3KGs

thats why i'm asking yous, the experts....i have no clue about this things, i just love the sound of tube amps.....
ok, another quastion.....any cheap(relatively) tube amp ready build, say plug and play for around $600 ? i think not....i dont need huge power, just that is enough for an OB design, like the Quassar....

I appriciate any suggestions....

Thanks guys

That very amplifier set is for sale at my local 'London Drugs' for over $600CAD.

I set eyes on it and almost screamed. I had a gander up through the grille plate on the bottom and it appears that the tubes aren't doing much. There's a SS chip for the power amplification and that's about it. The middle tube is a cathode ray indicator and is actually connected to indicate audio level. I didn't get a good look at what the other two tubes do.

What a joke this thing is...

Well, it is a hybrid amp. The ECC85s are used for voltage amplification and the SS for current amplification. Each device doing what it is best at.
This can work fairly well, I have such a hybrid amp myself, a 6DJ8 for voltage amplification followed by LM3875s. Of course it does not have the magic of all tube, nor the sound of for instance a pure class A mosfet ala Pass or Krell, but it can sound pretty good when designed properly. Given the experience of TL audio they did probably a good job, but I would rather have their 182 or 252 which are proper all tube amps...

In my humble opinion, I would look at these fellows:

http://www.wduk.worldomain.net/
http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/AmpKits.html

I have the now discontinued KECL82 ULPP kit and it's superb for the price and overall quality of it.
It's assembled in one or 2 evenings without a fuss, and I believe their newer design follow the same guidelines.

For 69£ more than that hybrid amp, their WDKEL84 is a very entry level high quality kit, and it's the real deal.

Just my 2 cents...

Simpleton ----->
I had a look on that site.the amps are beautifull..yous guys must know your stuff ;)
Another maeby silly question....the price by this amp
WDKEL84
is it "all inclusive" (£369), or is there something hiden, taht i have to pay for.Like som parts.is it complet kit? if so, than its much better than the iTUBE.
I realy appriciate you help.
Danny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.