• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

max DC-current for an unknown PS- Choke?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I have found a powersupply choke from an old radio. With my multimeter i measured the inductance to be 28H, with a DC winding resistance at 716 ohms. Now, I want to use this one, but I have no clue on the maximum current it can handle before saturating. The core size is the same as for a 10H at 50mA choke that I have... Is there any means as to determine the maximum current?

Stigla

Don't destroy a nice old radio for parts!!! Buy the proper ones!!

Heheh, yes of course. I got this radio for 1, thats one, dollar... Someone had painted the beautifull mahogny look-alike finnish with ugly green paint with a normal brush. It looked like s*** and the speaker was useless. I wouldt salvage any such antique beauties if it wherent for that :) at the same time I got a pretty much working and magnificent Phillips Master radio. EL84 output with 2 speakers, and a nice Miniwatt mesh EF86 driver!

The output tube was a 7C5 (equal. to 6V6) with a handfull of other Loctal preamppentodes. It is hard to tell, but I suspect that the choke was not handling the anode current of the 7C5, but just the screen supply and the rest of the smaller penodes... The filter cap had obiously blown, leaving the usual electrolyte "guts" on most of the insides...

That should suggest perhaps a current level no higer than perhaps 10mA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.