• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 PP power xfrmr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
6V6 PP power xfrmr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been searching the web and different forums for a suitable replacement power transformer for a push pull 6V6 stereo integrated.
A few examples were, 275-0-275 @ 150mA (Hammond 270FX), 300-0-300 @150mA (Hammond 272FX), as well as going with 200mA.
Tube lineup is,4-6V6GT PP output, 5AR4 rectifier, 2-12AX7, 2-6EU7, 1-12AU7.

I just want to make sure I'm not going to be dealing with too much, or not enough plate voltage, as current rating seems to be fine.

Any recommendations or thoughts? I have downloaded PSU Designer2 which I'm sure will take me a while to figure out.

Here is a link to the AP-30 which is almost identical to the AP-35.

http://www.ampslab.com/SCHEMATICS/BogenAP30.jpg

I'm close but I don't see a cigar.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

If it will fit, go with the 250 mA. Hammond 272JX. Reserves of current are a good thing. I'd be very leery of anything smaller than the 200 mA. 272HX.

BTW, the hefty 6.3 VAC windings allow you the option to build a DC heater supply for the phono section heaters. That, in turn, means you can use the inexpensive, but GOOD, Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the phono positions. :D

Eli,

Thanks for current recommendation, that will definately help.

Judging by what I could come up with using PSUD II (still learning as I go), 300VAC would give me just under 350VDC on the plates of the 6V6's, which probably will push them to their max rating, yet should still be ok.

Btw, I just happen to have a shiny new pair of Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.