• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6146W Power Amplifier. Please help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
I have no experience with the 6146. However, from various posts and articles on the 'net, I gather that 6146 and variants thereof are not particularly successful for continuous AF duty - something to do with stability, I think. Another problem is the top cap connection to the plate, which is at high voltage and a possible above-chassis shock hazard.

The 6146 can only run about 200 - 250 volts on G2. This severely limits the possibilities for triode strapping.

ie. For single ended, you need to operate in tetrode/pentode mode with G2 at a fixed voltage.

Ultra linear (single ended or push pull) is not possible, unless you operate the anode at a very low voltage. The output will then be woefully low (<20W PP, vs 55-90W PP for G2 at a fixed voltage).

Use 807s if you can, they are much easier to work with and given higher output power than the 6146. Or go to 6L6, EL34/6AC7, KT88, 6550 etc etc.

ray_moth said:
I have no experience with the 6146. However, from various posts and articles on the 'net, I gather that 6146 and variants thereof are not particularly successful for continuous AF duty - something to do with stability, I think. Another problem is the top cap connection to the plate, which is at high voltage and a possible above-chassis shock hazard.

I have a lot of experience with 6146 -- from ham radio days -- the tube was most often used as a linear amplifier for SSB and DSB operation and in Class C for CW -- the highest I ever went was 6 meters (50MHz) == plate connection should be made with a ceramic connector -- these can be found in the consumer electronics/ham radio/other ham radio section of ebay. There was a small version of the 6146 -- the 2E26 which was regularly used as a VHF transmitter tube.

The 1625 and 807 have different pinouts -- the 1625 was found in the AN/ARC-5 series of transmitters used in military aircraft of WW-II.

Dear all ! First of all I would like to say Thank You for your information on 6146 . But you know, I have bought some of 6146, 6146A,6146B,6146W and are made by RCA,GE,Sylvanya,Raytheon...with very low price. So that is why I want to try 1 6146 amp. Some people told me that could be use for audio amp. Please give me some review about 6146X audio amp if you used to use ,and tell me should I do this or not.
Many thanks.
Regards

Wavebourn said:
Nice amp, I like it!

Except R10: wrong value drawn.

Because the two halves of V1 are direct coupled, the Anode of V1a needs to sit at about a third the voltage on C4B, ie. Anode at about 125V. R10 sets the bias point. Should it be 470 Ohm? The value of R10 also affects the NFB factor.

The downside of this amplifier is that it needs 4 power rails, 750V for the output stage, 200V regulated for the 6146 G2's (see my earlier post about the damned 6146 G2), 375V for the gain stage and phase splitter stage, and -75V for output stage bias.

Give me one power rail and cathode bias on the output stage any day! It sure simplifies the power supply.

Probably 470R.

Two problems with 6146 which have precluded its use in audio: first, the low screen voltage rating mentioned before. Second, the short envelope which is not suited for continuous high dissipation (as opposed to the low duty cycle common in transceivers or amateur transmitters). Without severe attention paid to airflow, under continuous rated dissipation they tend to overheat, causing failure at the top cap and the base.

Don't ask how I know this. :blush:

SY said:
Probably 470R.

Two problems with 6146 which have precluded its use in audio: first, the low screen voltage rating mentioned before. Second, the short envelope which is not suited for continuous high dissipation (as opposed to the low duty cycle common in transceivers or amateur transmitters). Without severe attention paid to airflow, under continuous rated dissipation they tend to overheat, causing failure at the top cap and the base.

Don't ask how I know this. :blush:

Sid -- the 6146 was used in a.m. modulators (by Johnson Viking, Millen, etc. ) during the 1950's -- at that time, however, tubes were viewed much more as consummables. I think, however, the 6550 and 6L6 were much more frequently used --

My a.m. activities were limited to DSB, which isn't a.m. anyway and a Benton Harbor Lunch Box which (to my recollection) didn't have a modulation transformer.

SY said:

DSB is an oddball, all the bandwidth of AM with the SSB quack- how did you end up using that?

3X the power of AM -- we used an SB-10 in high school with a DX35 as an exciter and a broadcast amplifier we had hooked up as a linear amplifier (mercury rectifiers and all.)

I also have an HT-32 -- and you could select DSB as shown below -- my HT-44 has screen modulation.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.