• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

what's the purpose of pins 3 and 7 in an 8pin VR tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These pins have a real use. In many regulator circuits the output voltage will run away if the regulator tube is pulled out while the circuit is operational. The intent of the jumpered pins is to shut the power supply down if the tube is removed. This is pointed out in some tube manuals and data sheets. The RCA RC-30 (AES reprint) page 116 shows these pins wired is series with the line voltage supply. This explanation is offered:

"Removal of tube from socket removes voltage from load."

I wouldn't use it for the AC line, however.

I wouldn't either. I was looking at the circuit published in a tube manual written in 1970. The circuit has probably been around since the 1950's. If you have ever worked on a 1950's vintage radio you know that safety was not a concern back then. One side of the AC line was often wired DIRECTLY to the chassis. The polarized plug had not been invented yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.