• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Damon

Start telling something about the speakers you have, size of the room, music you listen to. That helps the orientation process!

100W is quite some power involving rather complex and expensive amplifiers - and most of the times not needed! If you tell something about the above, we may speak you into something simpler/cheaper!

Damon,

Erik is very much on target. Please apply Paul Joppa's 102 dB. rule. In a "typical" room an amp/speaker combo should be capable of 102 dB. SPL peaks at a 1 M. distance.

Another thing to keep in mind is that tube power amps tend to have smaller damping factors than SS power amps. If your favorite speakers have significant dips in the impedance curve (particularly in the bass region) they are likely to mate poorly with many tube amps.

Many a good sounding system has been built around tubed preamplification and SS power amplification. Explore the option before you part with hard earned cash.

Edit: fixed typos

Eli Duttman said:
If your favorite speakers have significant dips in the impedance curve (particularly in the bass region) they are likely to mate poorly with many tube amps

I guess my Cerwin Vega D7's with their "4-8 ohms" rating fit into that category, eh? :cool: Maybe it's time for a small push-pull triode amp instead of my UL 6L6 monoblocks - triodes have a higher damping factor, right?

sorenj07 said:

I guess my Cerwin Vega D7's with their "4-8 ohms" rating fit into that category, eh? :cool: Maybe it's time for a small push-pull triode amp instead of my UL 6L6 monoblocks - triodes have a higher damping factor, right?

1st, try the CVs on the 4 Ohm taps. IMO, they are 4 Ohm speakers, in spite of the nominal 8 Ohm claim.

Don't be so quick to give up on UL. A little carefully judged loop NFB takes care of the damping factor issue.

What sort of topology is currently used in the 6L6 amp?

Hey cheers for the response, been out today so not been around to reply!

All good stuff and cheers.

Im looking to play pretty heavy music, metal/punk hardcore etc.

I love the Ibanez Duel Rectifier sound and would like something along those lines not needing to be 100W however.

Just finised an electronics degree but and want to master making a nice tube amp!

Speakers are standard marshal 4X12.

Damon

Hey-Hey!!!,
I'd suggest a PP 807 power stage. 10k a-a output with U-L taps at 40%( not 25-35%, but 40 to 43% ). B+ at around 400V will net you close to class a bias and nearly 30W of very nice power. You'll not need any NFB, so the usual gain structure can be played with. 12AY7, or maybe some TV frame grids like the 6BQ7 instead of the 12AX7.
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.