• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

7805 regulated 5V supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
John,
Yesterday I built the supply we were discussing a few days ago - 12.6V@4A into 25V 10A bridge rectifier, into 1,000uF cap, into the 7805 (TO3 package), into a .1uF cap.
Works brilliantly - 5.02V under 750mA load, and no ripple.:D
So, thanks for the help!;)

Now I just have to figure out where I picked up a 60Hz hum from!:mad:
I "cleaned house" a bit in the chassis - moved some leads, shortened others, and now I have a bit of hum that gets louder as the gain is turned up. It's not the new filament supply, because I still have it when I switch to a battery on the filaments.
If I ground the grid of the first 01-A, the amp is totally quiet, even with the volume up full. So, that tells me the 2nd stage, and the ouput stage are not the cause... :confused: :confused: :bawling:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
hum

If it varies with the volume control it obviously comes in with the signal, so it either is already on the output of the source or preamp, or it rides in on the connecting cable. (Assuming your vol control is up-front in the amp). If you use another source/preamp, is it gone? If yes, you have isolated the problem. If not, check the grounding and ground routing of your signal input connector and/or the cable.

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.