• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help Choosing A Sowter Trans For My DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As my very first foray into tubes I thought I'd try the Lampizator Tube Buffer as a compliment to my DAC. After reviewing the schematic I don't see anything beyond my skillset with the exception of choosing the correct Sowter transformer. The schematic uses a TDA1541 DAC and I use a TDA1543. Could somone please give me a brief explaination of these transformers and how it would apply to my circumstances?

Regards,
Dan :smash:

I believe that the 9762 and 9545 both require dac chips with no offset which rules out their use with the 1543. The 8347 and 9055 can both take some offset, but you should check the power output of the 1543. It is a higher current output that other chips (which is why it is used as it is), so it may be too much for the transformer. Perhaps you could use a resistor and a cap to do the I/V conversion, then put in the transformer and use one of the voltage out types? I'd send an email to Sowter to see what they say.

http://www.sowter.co.uk/dacs.htm

Heya. The Sowter 8347 will work. However, it was really
designed for the Burr Brown PCM63. The suggested value of
25ohm load has much to do with the minimum THD of the output
stage of the PCM63 in particular...

Can I suggest a cheaper but equally cool first tube project?

Buy a couple of these:

http://www.edcorusa.com/products/transformers/xsm/xsm15k-600.html

These are line-out transformers, 5:1 stepdown. Now, you
need a voltage gain stage. Lots of options here. I'd start
out with low Ra stuff like ECC86/6GM7/5687/ECC88 or even
reuse some 6SN7 or 12AU7 (higher Rp). You'll have a PP pair
of triodes driving the Edcor. You can use a common cathode Rk
on the triodes. Building a CCS will work too and give you the
added advantage of significantly improved power supply noise
rejection.

You can then experiment with various I/V resistor values....

If you start out with the 6GM8/ECC86, you can conceivably
get going with B+ as low as 45V or so, which means an easier
initial power supply.

Unlike the Sowter tx, you can repurpose the ckt into a line stage
or preamp too! Just add a Radio Shack stereo volume pot!

-- Jim

I calculated the gain with a Sowter 9545 transformer. It will give somewhat large audio output voltage (around 4V RMS). If this is too much, you can put smaller resistors in the cathodes. My circuit has 1.5k; for the Sowter 1+1:5+5 transformer I recommend 0.33k (or look for an 1:10+10 transformer).
All this is true with dual differential DAC drive, see the APPLICATION and FEATURES notes at the Sowter site. I was also considering the Sowter 9545, but for my purpose the Lundahl LL1678 with 1+1:16+16 ratio suited better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.