fisher 800c clipping at ultra low volume - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2007, 03:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy fisher 800c clipping at ultra low volume

I have all new output tubes but have been replacing caps in the powersupply. Could this be a powersupply issue where the output tubes are not getting the required power. Any places I should look
Old 2nd May 2007, 09:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Clipping? Or crossover distortion? Both channels? Check the plate, screen, bias supply voltages. The output stage shouldn't clip until 30 watts. If one channel, check for a shorted OPT winding.
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default fisher 800c clipping

Both channels clip at low bass levels. Would you be able to give me the right voltages to check.
Old 3rd May 2007, 01:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Check the schematic on my web page: http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/Audio.html

(under the picture of the 800C)

I will put up a better scan ONE of these days...
Old 5th May 2007, 08:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I can't be sure that I understand you exactly, but if low levels of bass are causing distortion, then one guess is that your output tubes are drawing grossly different idle currents. This is creating a large DC imbalance in the core of the transformer causing it to saturate at low signal levels.

Why would it happen in both channels? Coincidence maybe? You said they are new tubes. Could be that you got a couple of bad ones and put one into each amp.

-- Dave
Old 6th May 2007, 12:52 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

There's another possibility: an RF oscillation. That could also cause premature clipping.
Old 6th May 2007, 06:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Unhappy fisher 800c clipping problem

i opened the darn thing up and tested the cathod voltages. All tubes read roughly 200mv except one which reads a little over 8 volts. Does this mean that there is a short in one of the tubes. Also it looks like the clipping is just one channel.

Steve.
Old 6th May 2007, 11:15 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: fisher 800c clipping problem

Quote:
Originally posted by slhoward
All tubes read roughly 200mv except one which reads a little over 8 volts.

40X is a BIG difference! I suppose it could be a bad tube, or a bad coupling cap, or a problem in the bias circuit (check the voltages at the grids.)

I'm not familiar with the 800C, so I don't know exactly how that 200mV is generated. If it's across a 5 ohm sense resistor, then 8V would imply that one tube is drawing 1.6A (1600mA) while the others are drawing a more expected 40mA. I would be surprised if a bad tube (or a good tube with a bad coupling cap or bias circuit) would draw 1.6A. I doubt the power supply could provide that much current even if the fuse didn't blow. And then the resistor would probably be a 1/2 watt piece; 1.6A would cause it to blow...

So... I'm thinking you might want to look for something awry in the cathode circuit of the misbehaving tube. If there is a small resistor there (like 5 ohms or something) then it might have gone bad. Might be as simple as a bad solder connection....

Check the grid voltages first. If there's a problem there that caused a cathode sense resistor to open up you want to fix that problem before anything else.

-- Dave
Old 6th May 2007, 11:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the 800C, so I don't know exactly how that 200mV is generated.

Dave,

The only difference between an 800C and a 500C is the AM tuner section. AAMOF, when it comes to Fisher power setups, see 1 and you see all. Fisher used a 12AX7 section "driver" into a 12AX7 section cathodyne splitter over and over.

Fisher 500C schematic here.
Old 6th May 2007, 12:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

hmmm..... in that schematic the cathodes are grounded. Where is the 200mV of the presumably normally operating tubes coming from?

-- Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!