• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

fisher 800c clipping at ultra low volume

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't be sure that I understand you exactly, but if low levels of bass are causing distortion, then one guess is that your output tubes are drawing grossly different idle currents. This is creating a large DC imbalance in the core of the transformer causing it to saturate at low signal levels.

Why would it happen in both channels? Coincidence maybe? You said they are new tubes. Could be that you got a couple of bad ones and put one into each amp.

-- Dave

fisher 800c clipping problem

i opened the darn thing up and tested the cathod voltages. All tubes read roughly 200mv except one which reads a little over 8 volts. Does this mean that there is a short in one of the tubes. Also it looks like the clipping is just one channel.

Steve.

Re: fisher 800c clipping problem

slhoward said:
All tubes read roughly 200mv except one which reads a little over 8 volts.

40X is a BIG difference! I suppose it could be a bad tube, or a bad coupling cap, or a problem in the bias circuit (check the voltages at the grids.)

I'm not familiar with the 800C, so I don't know exactly how that 200mV is generated. If it's across a 5 ohm sense resistor, then 8V would imply that one tube is drawing 1.6A (1600mA) while the others are drawing a more expected 40mA. I would be surprised if a bad tube (or a good tube with a bad coupling cap or bias circuit) would draw 1.6A. I doubt the power supply could provide that much current even if the fuse didn't blow. And then the resistor would probably be a 1/2 watt piece; 1.6A would cause it to blow...

So... I'm thinking you might want to look for something awry in the cathode circuit of the misbehaving tube. If there is a small resistor there (like 5 ohms or something) then it might have gone bad. Might be as simple as a bad solder connection....

Check the grid voltages first. If there's a problem there that caused a cathode sense resistor to open up you want to fix that problem before anything else.

-- Dave

Check biasing- as mentioned earlier. If you can't hear any hum, more than likely it's biasing or faulty tube.

Check resivor Caps- With a signal applied, check the supply rails for any AC would be an indication of the supply caps. Either low frequency audio or 60-120Hz hum.

Check cathode bypass caps- With a signal applied, stick a scope on cathode resistors and see if any with a bypass cap show AC. If the cathode bypass caps are starting to loose capacitance it would cause low frequency roll-off. It would change the gain at low frequencies but wouldn't dramatically effect the clip point.

Output transformer- Excessive DC idle current in the output tubes will impair the low frequency of the transformer. Also, I'm not familiar with the specific amp in question, but some vintage amps simply weren't designed to go as low in frequency as modern amps.

800c clipping

My fisher was purchased from the fisher doctor and he put 10 ohm cathod resistors on each cathode. One end connected to the cathod of each output 7591, the other to ground. This safeguards the ouput transformers from a bad tube shorting out and blowing them up. Instead the resistor blows up. I'll take the resistor over a output transformer.

I believe I found the problem though. One of my cathod resistors reads 295k rather than 10 ohms. I do recall a tube going bad in that spot, so the resistor did its job. If I replace the resistor the new tube should operate normally and the clipping will go away.

However what would having a bad or open resistor at the cathod do to the tube, and why are the cathods grounded anyway. If possible please explain this. No offence.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.