Dear Moderators - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2007, 03:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dear Moderators

Could I (respectfully of-course) ask you to review the attached file rules.

I either hand draw up my schematics on an A4 sheet or print to an A4 sheet from within PROTEL and then scan it at 100 dots per inch (the lowest setting on my scanner). That always results in an 1169 x 832 file.

A file I can not post because it exceeds the 1000 x 1000 limit.

That has resulted in me not posting a numberr of schematics which may have been of interest, either because I did'nt have the time to mess about reducing it or because having done so it was then un-readable.

Thanks,
Ian
Old 1st May 2007, 03:41 AM   #2
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Upload them to Imageshack or somewhere and link to the image within the post?
Old 1st May 2007, 03:51 AM   #3
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
Yep, I use imageshack for things beyond what the forum can take. No big deal really...
Old 1st May 2007, 03:52 AM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Or you can email them to me or planet 10 and we'll reduce or host them. The size limit is built into the forum code so it's not something we can twiddle easily.

One thing to check- does your scanner allow you to scan the image into a preshrunk size? Mine (a cheap, obsolete HP) allows me to reduce to a selectable percentage.
Old 1st May 2007, 05:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I would gladly host them as well.

Preferably I would resize them in photoshop/Ilustrator in good resolution and email them back to you. Then you can add them to your posts. I do this(photoshop) all day long when posting to the DIY. Another cool thing about Photoshop is you can open PDF files and edit them like regular images and save as GIF or JPG or BMP...what ever.

Cheers,

Shawn.
Old 1st May 2007, 05:41 AM   #6
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi gingertube. Assuming it's Windows, try opening your scan with

http://www.irfanview.com/

and use Image > Resize/Resample to get it where you want. If PROTEL permits copying the target picture to the clipboard (rather than printing) then do so and use Edit > Paste from the Irfanview menu to copy it over, then again re-size/resample to your desire. A line drawing copy and paste from another drawing usually saves smallest in GIF format.
Old 1st May 2007, 06:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Gentlemen,
Thank you for all the good advise. I will try a few of the above.

I have a new 6V6 Ultralinear Amp to post shortly which seems topical right now.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 1st May 2007, 01:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here is another low tech but effective method that I use (Windows).

If you have the image on your PC screen in whatever program, size the window to fill most of the screen. Press the SHIFT and Print Screen keys. This grabs a copy of the entire screen. Open Windows Paint, then Edit, Paste. You should now have a copy of your screen in Paint. Then save as a Jpeg. Now you can use a photo editor to crop, resize, and reduce the resolution of the photo to fit the requirements and post it. I use Nikon View. It is free and downloadable here:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...php?p_faqid=61
Old 1st May 2007, 04:10 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Windows.. Another good free image viewer with comprehensive editing capabilities is Faststone Image Viewer available here:

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

I use ScreenPrint32 for screen captures, it's quite versatile allowing easy selection of the area to be captured. Available here:

http://www.provtech.co.uk/main/default.asp

It's also free for home use.
Old 1st May 2007, 05:40 PM   #10
Vuokko is offline Vuokko  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Vuokko Send a message via MSN to Vuokko
I don't know but if this forum is running on UNIX system and there is imagemagic installed it wouldn't be that hard to scale down uploaded images to something apropriate. program is name convert. It's used in commandline.

That would be very nice because then the images could be set apropriate width for forum's layout. Bandwidth would had been consumed only once. I'm not sure anyway about this either. Most digitalcameras give out something like 3000x2000 in resolution and filesize is about one meg. For this scenario the convert script could be very useful. Just take photos of your amp take the stick and upload them here and see how jealous people are in here

And about scanning images. I've found best way to get good images is to scan them best resolution and then scale and convert nice little PNG. I use gimp or convert for that. I don't know what to use in Windows world but photoshop would be overkill.

Hide this!Advertise here!