• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dear Moderators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could I (respectfully of-course) ask you to review the attached file rules.

I either hand draw up my schematics on an A4 sheet or print to an A4 sheet from within PROTEL and then scan it at 100 dots per inch (the lowest setting on my scanner). That always results in an 1169 x 832 file.

A file I can not post because it exceeds the 1000 x 1000 limit.

That has resulted in me not posting a numberr of schematics which may have been of interest, either because I did'nt have the time to mess about reducing it or because having done so it was then un-readable.

Thanks,
Ian

Or you can email them to me or planet 10 and we'll reduce or host them. The size limit is built into the forum code so it's not something we can twiddle easily.

One thing to check- does your scanner allow you to scan the image into a preshrunk size? Mine (a cheap, obsolete HP) allows me to reduce to a selectable percentage.

I would gladly host them as well.

Preferably I would resize them in photoshop/Ilustrator in good resolution and email them back to you. Then you can add them to your posts. I do this(photoshop) all day long when posting to the DIY. Another cool thing about Photoshop is you can open PDF files and edit them like regular images and save as GIF or JPG or BMP...what ever.

Cheers,

Shawn.

Hi gingertube. Assuming it's Windows, try opening your scan with

http://www.irfanview.com/

and use Image > Resize/Resample to get it where you want. If PROTEL permits copying the target picture to the clipboard (rather than printing) then do so and use Edit > Paste from the Irfanview menu to copy it over, then again re-size/resample to your desire. A line drawing copy and paste from another drawing usually saves smallest in GIF format.

Here is another low tech but effective method that I use (Windows).

If you have the image on your PC screen in whatever program, size the window to fill most of the screen. Press the SHIFT and Print Screen keys. This grabs a copy of the entire screen. Open Windows Paint, then Edit, Paste. You should now have a copy of your screen in Paint. Then save as a Jpeg. Now you can use a photo editor to crop, resize, and reduce the resolution of the photo to fit the requirements and post it. I use Nikon View. It is free and downloadable here:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=61

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't know but if this forum is running on UNIX system and there is imagemagic installed it wouldn't be that hard to scale down uploaded images to something apropriate. program is name convert. It's used in commandline.

That would be very nice because then the images could be set apropriate width for forum's layout. Bandwidth would had been consumed only once. I'm not sure anyway about this either. Most digitalcameras give out something like 3000x2000 in resolution and filesize is about one meg. For this scenario the convert script could be very useful. Just take photos of your amp take the stick and upload them here and see how jealous people are in here :D

And about scanning images. I've found best way to get good images is to scan them best resolution and then scale and convert nice little PNG. I use gimp or convert for that. I don't know what to use in Windows world but photoshop would be overkill.

You don't have to take a 'screen scrape'. Just open the file in MSPaint, hit Ctrl+A to select all, move your art up into the upper left hand corner of the image, hit Ctrl+E to view the image attributes menu, and crop it into a nice image with the art. You do anything terrible, just hit Ctrl+Z to back up. Paint gives you three backups.

It's always a good idea, by the way, to resave your file immediately on opening with slightly different name, in case it all goes to hell. Save your original image.

smallamp.gif

Also by the way; if you'd like to draw the schems directly in Paint, I have archives of symbols that I've built up over the yonks, that I can shoot to anybody who wants one. This one here is 'small', that I use for forum posts and stuff.

Aloha,

Poinz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.