• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

More 6158/13D3

Whoops

Well spotted John - that was a whoopsie.

I love cathode followers. I have argued with lots of folk about this, but to my limited knowledge (dangerous admission perhaps?) the logic of using them is irrefutable - high impedance in, low resistance out.

Opposing this principle could be held to be promotion of distortion by default!

7N7

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
THE VENERABLE CF.

Hi,

Two months ago, when I suggested such a thing was a good idea,

I remember that vividly and the whole topic is worthy of a thread of its' own.

I love cathode followers.

I second that,although not all CF are the same they come in very handy.
Moreover,for all the SET fans adoring simpicity and lots of distortion they're a godsend.
Granted,it will take'm a while as to the why of this.:(

Cheers and well done 7N7,;)

The Corrected Version

Another check revealed another important error:eek:

So this time, I have corrected the 1N4148 error and also included the 100k 5W resistor without which the Zener and 1N4148 would have quickly become toast!

Sorry for the chaos

7N7

Attachments

• instock b.jpg
    instock b.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 385
Another update

A couple of changes to mention:

First, the 4.7k 5W suppling the D3A G2 board is now 6k @ 5W

The potential dividers feeding the two MPSA42 transistors have been changed; the top resistor in each one is now 200k
Vg2 on the D3As is now 120V. The load resistors have been changed also: the 100k parallel resistors have been removed leaving just the 15ks

This bloody computer is having one of its go-slows this evening (5 minutes just to post this) so I'll re-send the diagram when it starts behaving again:mad:

7N7

Updated Diagram

Here as promised, is the updated circuit diagram for the Instock amplifier.

I have marked most of the changed components with an asterisk.

The principal effect of this is that Vg2 on the D3As is now 120V - note also that the cathode loads are now 15k instead of 13k as previously (forgot to mark these!:eek: )

7N7

Re: In-stock and working...

dhaen said:
Paul,

Just picking......
What is the purpose of the 470K's on the 6528 grids?;)

And how is it sounding? Have you built 2 channels yet?

Cheers,

That's a very good question; now that you have pointed it out I wonder myself.

On the other hand, 6528A is a beefy valve; if it should decide to run away....

I may try operating it without the grid leaks when I have caught up a bit on the other things that I have to do.

I meant to try reducing the value of the grid stoppers, since the very low output resistance of the driver stage (gm is about 25 on the D3As) should mean that I should be able to get closer to 0V on the 6528A - i.e. a sort of p-p class A2. Obviously I would need a very low value - or none at all to achieve this, and with such high gm in the 6528 things could quickly get out of hand.

However, I have now dismantled the 13E1 amplifier; replaced the front end, tried two alternatives and managed to cause (I think) the CCS to pack up after years of reliable operation.

As a result the Instock has to stay where it is for the time being.

I appears to be completely reliable, which is a good thing as without music I am sunk!

7N7

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
470k grid-leaks

I don't know what those 470k resistors are doing there either. Snip 'em out, and rebias if necessary. Any grid current can only develop grid voltage across the grid-stoppers (the output resistance of the cathode followers is negligible in comparison).

And yes, Bombay Sapphire is the best. Partly because it can (and should) be kept in the freezer. Keep the (thick-based) short glasses in the fridge. Ultimately, however, the best gin is the one that is in your glass and not someone elses.