• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Seperate PSU Transformers? Filament Supplys?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, what would give best performance?

1. One transformer, rectifier, capacitor, choke for driver tube. One transformer, rectifier, capacitor, choke for output tube.
vs.
2. One transformer, rectifier, capacitor, choke for output tube then another choke to bring the voltage down for the driver tube.

3. Is it a smart idea to wind a rectifier filament supply into the power transformer?

I guess what i want to know is, would it be better to have a bunch of transformers or just one that powers everything.

thanks

On an absolute basis, lotsa transformers is a better otion than one with lots of windings. First, noise from rectification won't couple from one winding to another (especially from the HV to the heater). Second, the output stage supply will tend to sag under load, so keeping the driver HV separate will help LF stability and overload recovery.

So, if I were to generalize (I guess the basis would be no PS regulation and no choke/CCS loading?), would the priority of adding extra PS iron be, in order of decreasing benefit:

1) Separate HV from filament windings.

2) Separate HV for input/driver from HV for output.

3) Separate filament for input/driver from filament for output.

Does regulation and/or choke/CCS loading impact this greatly?

for the best tube design
is essential
1. each chanel separate CT heating transformer for the rectifier tube
2. each chanel separate CT heating transformer close to the output DHT tubes
3. good PS, DC symetric secondarys, transformer with lower DC res. of sec.
4. units has to be mounted in the chasis correctly.
5. chokes with gap, low dc res, good laminations, proper mounting away from TR.
All units has to be from good qty. laminates cores.
All units has to be with B less then 0.707 Tesla.

ak_47_boy said:
Hi, just got back,
Thanks Zoran.
agent.5 would you mind PMing/email me a schematic, i am interested in your design. I am working on a 304tlSE atm.

I don't have a final version yet, as I've been keep changing my mind. But I do have all the parts.

Essentially, it will be something similar to this, but with MQ plate chokes, grid chokes, and output transformers. Separate power transformers for everything. Mercury rectifiers and oil caps.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sN84Rm...oSbjdOMLV0f5Ft1ghTb-z58rbc88Wb8Zg/75TL GM 100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.