Vishay vt52-55 resistors in a tube amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2007, 08:50 AM   #1
jarthel is offline jarthel  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Vishay vt52-55 resistors in a tube amp

Has anyone used these resistors in their project? feedback please.

thank you
Old 1st May 2007, 10:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Jarthel,

Advice partly. I have never used them; as far as I know they are quite expensive. I have however done a number of amplifiers over decades, and my advice would be that the "extra" quality is not wothwhile in audio amplifiers. The metal film or metal oxide resistors available these days are more than adequite - as are polyester or poly-carbonate capacitors!

There appears to be some snob value in the use of exotic parts, but unless you really want to keep up with the Wavevacs (and then mount your amplifier on a mirror so that "exotic" can at least have some face value), don't waste your money where it does not count. Reports of "sound better"? Not to step on any toes, or at least doing my best to miss them where they sometimes are placed squarely in my way, but almost anything will sound one way or another to many people.

Regards
Old 1st May 2007, 11:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Haven't looked up that p/n, but if they're bulk metal foil resistors, they're about as good as one can get in terms of linearity and noise. I really question anyone's ability to tell the difference between different manufacturers versions of the same technology resistors. IMO, standard metal film resistors are quite sufficient for my ears, and I'd never waste money on anything better than that for audio work. For lab voltage and frequency standards, yes, as you could measure a difference. My experience with MOX and thick film resistors suggests they aren't a good choice for audio. Too much voltage non-linearity with the MOX- I made the mistake of using them in a HV amps feedback circuit, and performance suffered greatly. I've also used thick film resistors in sensitive low level amplifiers, and had excess noise. Plain old metal films solved both problems, but be sure to observe both the power and *voltage* rating, especially in a tube amp. Many 1/4W 1% MF resistors have a 300V rating, regardless of how little power you happen to be dissipating. I like the larger RN70 series resistors in tube amps.
Old 2nd May 2007, 02:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Most interesting, Conrad!

Thanks for the input on mox. I do use then for the first time in a 100W tube amp because of watt rating vs size, but will inspect immediately - they get quite hot, though within rating. Again, down here for over 2W one mainly gets huge ugly 5W wws. With regard to normal metal-film I can agree with you. I have used them in lab equipment as well as in a 150 MHz super-sensitive receiver.

Your experience regarding thick-film is also valuable - thanks for warning. How many modern equipment uses them? I shudder.

Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!