• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Puzzler

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just completed a single ended 6V6GT amplifier. I followed the schematic correctly (so I think) but when I turn it on I get music from one speaker but not the other. The really weird thing is when I turn it off I get music from both speakers for a few seconds (before the amp powers off completely). If I quickly turn it on again I get music from both speakers for a few seconds and then one fades away leaving one channel with music. Is this indicative of a particular problem? I'm so confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I saw this problem before. In my case the resistor from the grid of the output tube to ground (or the bias supply) was open (physically broken). I suppose that this could happen in any stage. Check the resistances to ground through each stage in the amp. Just compare the good channel to the dead channel. Make sure the power is off and all electrolytic caps are discharged.

I checked out the dead channel last night and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Finally I replaced the 12AX7 with a new one and both channels seem to work fine. The origonal 12AX7 was a used old stock RCA that I guess wasn't working.

Thanks for your help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.