• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Look for a beefy driver tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently running a ECL82 as a driver tube pushing an interstage transformer. I am not that happy with its sound so am looking for a substitute.

I need a driver which will work with the following criteria;

Va 100V
Ia 40mA
Gain of about 15.
Preferably 12.6V heater.
Preferably 9pin base.
Triode or pentode

I have spotted the 6H30 which looks just the job, but the heater is a problem. Also they seem outrageously expensive. Any good sources ?

I would appreciate any other ideas.

Shoog

I was thinking of paralleling the sides of the 6H30 which would give me 20mA per side and a grid bias of about -5V - plenty of headroom. It would then let me series connect the heaters. At this operating point it should give a very long service life to.
The 6N6P looks a bit cramped at this sort of operating point.

Shoog

Running a single 5687 for both sides of a stereo pair is pushing it over it plate dissipation (just). Of course I could run the two triodes in parallel.
I have used the 5687 as a preamp tube and always had issues with hum, I really want to avoid the complexity of DC heaters.
A definite contender though and I even have some.

Shoog

7119/E182CC? Superficially similar to a 5687 but has much larger plates, somewhat higher gm and mu. At 100 Vp and 40mA needs Vgk = -1V. Maybe run it at 30mA (Vgk = -1.5V)? Fairly high Cpg, so drive it with low rp stage.

EDIT: I don't know how much signal swing you need. This might run into a grid current problem. Why do you need 40mA? Are you driving the grids of the 6AS7s into the grid current region?

What dont you like about the sound? I'm guessing that you
dont like the bass response. In such a case, you need a much
lower Rp.

The 7044 is nice too, Rp=1700 ohms Va=120 mu=21

Only thing that hasnt been mentioned.. This is a mighty
fine driver tube.

Can you suck it up and deal with more B+ ?? How about
the 12BH7 ? You need around 250V... mu=17, Rp=5500 ohms.
Then theres the 6V6/12V6/12AQ5 types with mu=9 but
Rp=1700... Going for a tube with Rp < 2000 ohms is a good
bet with the typical 5K:5K interstage trannies out there.

Crap... With the low B+ and moderate current, maybe you best
bet would be a MOSFET. :)

-- Jim

I was thinking of the EL86 as I have a rake of the PL84, but the gm is to low at just 9.

EDIT: I don't know how much signal swing you need. This might run into a grid current problem. Why do you need 40mA? Are you driving the grids of the 6AS7s into the grid current region?

The problem is that the interstage is suboptimal, and capacitances become a real issue very quickly. 40mA seems to keep the top end sweet. I think if you scan the various interstage transformer based designs they like to push a lot of current to get over this particular issue.

I'am currently leaning towards trying the 5687 - its nearly perfect for the job.

I will keep an eye out for the mighty 6H30, as it really seems to be perfect for the job.

Shoog

The 6S4 is just about what you need - mu 16.5 and takes at least 24mA. sounds pretty nice.

Better sounding and you have 6AH4 - mu 8 and 30mA.

Better sounding again is the 1626 but that's down to mu of 5, but it is 12v filaments.

You have the 6BL7 which is exactly mu 15 and 40mA - don't know how it sounds. The 6BX7 sounds pretty good.

You might find a use for a dissimilar double triode like the 6DN7 - the beefy side of it is exactly what you want and you have another side as well. Sounds good too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.