ECC81 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Tobruk is offline Tobruk  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Ecc81

Hi,
I am looking for a schematic about an ECC81 input tube direct coupled to an ECC82 or 6SN7 cathodyne phase splitter for my hombrew push-pull EL 84 amplifier.I thank you in advance.
regards

Franco.-
Old 25th April 2007, 01:23 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You only need to swing 11V or so to drive an EL84 to clipping- why use a phase-splitter with gain and add some extra rolloffs in the bargain? You'd do better, I think, with a voltage amp direct coupled to a split-load. The ECC81 works very, very well in that service.
Old 25th April 2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Tobruk is offline Tobruk  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I think an ECC82 Cathodyne phase splitter has not gain(or very low)
ciao
Old 25th April 2007, 01:34 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Maybe I misunderstand the term "cathodyne." If it's the same thing as a split-load, then do a forum search for the Red Light District amplifier. I used an ECC81 for both the input voltage amp and the split-load- ECC82 is a much inferior tube for that service.
Old 25th April 2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This is pretty much what you asked for: http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard/cathodyne.html
Old 25th April 2007, 02:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

As Sy said, that's often referred to as a "split-load" phase inverter. And I second his recommendation for the 12AT7, especially if you are using a P-P output stage. A single 12AT7 will provide plenty of gain in the right configuration.

You might look at the "El-Cheapo" front end (on the Decware forum). Of course, Sy's suggestion is good too (I'm sure!), I'm just not nearly as familiar with it.

"El-Cheapo" does not use a cathodyne/split-load PI, but you still might find it very appealing.
Old 25th April 2007, 03:47 PM   #7
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Actually, it has more gain...

Although a concertina/cathodyne/split load phase splitter doesn't have gain to an individual output, it has a differential gain of two, so in combination with a typical common cathode input stage it has a gain double that of a phase splitter based on a differential pair.

Hide this!Advertise here!