• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

submini tube preamp is a success

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
finished building a guitar preamp using a CK5703 submini tube at a plate voltage of 12V. gain is about 10, THD about 5% (unless overdriven, which is a sound guitarists like anyways....). tested it out yesterday at the pro-audio shop i work at, and had one guitarist play through it for 2 hours, he liked it so much...... he was playing through a plain-vanilla SS amp, and a "generic" cheapo stratocaster style guitar..... he said the preamp has a nice warm classic tube amp sound.....

the gain is variable, so it can be operated in it's linear region, with a THD of about 1% or less..... remember, it was designed as a "tube sound" device, so it's primary purpose is even harmonic coloration of the signal...... something geared more towards musicians, than hi-fi...... when i get home from work, i'll post something similar, a more linear version of the preamp i'm using....
it's simple, and works off of 12vdc at less than an amp per tube (including heater supply)

I've got an AN/PRC-10 military radio with all submini tubes in it. I haven't used it for years. One time I tried connecting a TV tuner (42.75 MHz IF sound carrier) to it and could hear TV channels through it. There's very little activity on the 6 meter band where I am. The radio can pick up police and firemen on some frequencies. I always wondered how subminis would sound in HiFi systems.

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_electronics_anprc10.php

http://www.armyradio.com/arsc/customer/product.php?productid=1613

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.