• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube testing questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just received a batch of the following:

OB3 (VR-90) regulator
6N6P double triode

I have a Precision 10-60 tester, but use it all too rarely. Just interested in verifying my purchase was good, but don't have any of the nomenclature in the reference book.

Are there any industry standard types to use, in order to test these?

Also, would I need to come up with a custom jig in order to check balance between the two halves of the 6N6P?

Thanks.

A jig is trivial, a tube socket and a few cheap parts to make a simple grounded cathode amp, an oscilloscope, and a signal source (generator or sound card). If it passes signal, a few DC voltage checks will let you see if it's acting much like the curves predict.

For the VR tube, just rig up a power supply with a greater voltage than the tube's rating, then add a series resistor to bring the current to where you want to operate it, and make sure it lights up and that the voltage is right.

For me, there's very little value in them unless I were to need to test all sorts of different tubes quickly (like a TV repairman would have done). Given more typical use for audio diyers (good vs, bad and matching of one particular type at a time), I think you can get better info from just setting up a test circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.