Curcio Daniel Preamp Mods? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2007, 08:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Curcio Daniel Preamp Mods?

Hello,
I was wondering if anybody who has one of these preamps has modified it to get better sound? Please share any experience...
I was thinking about replacing the 20K plate resistor with Pimm's Self Bias CCS. Has anybody done anything similar?
As a general question, if I replace the plate resistor with a CCS, should I bypass the cathode resistor with a cap? Is this needed?
Thanks in advance...
Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: gif danielline.gif (4.8 KB, 636 views)
Old 21st April 2007, 08:54 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Why do you want to do that? Do you need the extra gain?

With a plate CCS load, cathode degeneration is a Bad Thing. You could bypass with a cap (it will have to be a darn big cap) or go to an LED or battery bias scheme.
Old 21st April 2007, 11:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I thought that replacing the plate resistor with a CCS was a good thing for fidelity. I must be way off base, or they are way more complicated to implement than I thought.
Daniel
Old 22nd April 2007, 12:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Not universally. A CCS is a useful tool, but like any useful tool, it has a specific function. Ask yourself this: if a CCS were a Universal Good as a plate load, wouldn't everyone use them everywhere?
Old 22nd April 2007, 04:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

OK, so generally speaking, when and where would a CCS make a positive difference? And in what kind of tube circuits?
Looking through past posts here, it seems like people tend to use them a lot in the plate of voltage amplifier stages, in the cathodes of differential phase splitters, basically everywhere but in the power output stage.
What am I missing?
Daniel
Old 22nd April 2007, 12:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

People use them in power output stages, too. Like anything else, it's a tool, no more, no less. But a very useful tool.

A CCS will cause a triode's load line to be nearly horizontal. That reduces distortion due to curve bunching at low currents. It also runs the tube at its maximum gain (mu, to a good approximation). Because of its large dynamic impedance, it will change the output resistance of a stage and thus the associated rolloffs. Followed by a buffer or with a sufficiently low rp tube, that's not a big deal, but in some situations, it is. Remember, though, that the tube's plate load is not just the plate resistor or CCS but also the load that it's driving, even on the other side of a coupling cap.

Once a tube's plate load is 5-10x bigger than rp, the CCS will have considerably less beneficial effect. And for circuits where the plate resistance is high (like degenerated common cathode or a cascode), the CCS can be detrimental.

In my preamp, I use a CCS to set the DC operating point of a cathode follower while allowing the driven load to dominate the AC loadline for the tube.
Old 22nd April 2007, 01:53 PM   #7
eduard is offline eduard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eduard
hello,
try replacing the 6 20kresistors by 20k 5 watts wirewound mills yoou will be surprised At least i was

Hide this!Advertise here!