Digital potentiometer corrupt tube amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2007, 04:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Digital potentiometer corrupt tube amps

I am looking at the possibility of a tube based 5.1 preamp. So far I have found no reasonably priced 6 channel attenuators/pots. I also considered various methods of mechanical coupling of normal stereo pots bu it is beginning to look like digital pots may be the only viable option. What is not clear to me is what effect these devices would have on the sound.

I am not particularly overjoyed with putting any solid state in the signal path. Do these devices use semiconductor based resistances or metal film or something else? Does the signal pass through the actual switching circuits or only across benign resistances?

Other suggested approches? What would you do?

mike
Old 18th April 2007, 05:30 AM   #2
Tim__x is offline Tim__x  Canada
diyAudio Member

They are switched, and they are solid state.
You should consider the fact that you will not find a single 5.1 recording that has not gone through solidstate equipment, infact I'd be very suprised if you found any 5.1 material that's been through less than ten opamps, a DAC, and subsequently an ADC, plus a couple more opamps in the ADC.
Old 18th April 2007, 05:58 AM   #3
bibster is offline bibster  France
diyAudio Member

Mashaffer,
You could have a look here: Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp
Sounds feasible to make 5.1 version

Paul
Old 18th April 2007, 08:52 AM   #4
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

How about a bank of uniselectors form an old Strowger mechanical telephone exchange as the switches in your switched attenuator? "Dialing in the volume" could take on a whole new meaning...
Old 18th April 2007, 08:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
How about a bank of uniselectors form an old Strowger mechanical telephone exchange as the switches in your switched attenuator? "Dialing in the volume" could take on a whole new meaning...

... and the Strowger switches would give you 100 levels of attenuation! Up ten and across ten.
Old 18th April 2007, 09:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

'click and bang' volume control- Brilliant. Where can I get one?

James
Old 18th April 2007, 09:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

and how would you mute the audio ...... hang up?
Old 18th April 2007, 02:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tim. I am not so much concerned with the 5.1 sources for the reasons that you mentioned. The main concern is phonograph and tape sources.

Bibster, thanks for the link. That looks interesting but will take some time to study it. It is possible that some type of shunt control would have less of an effect on sonics. Eventually I do want to make the whole thing remote controlled.

I have an old ADC Sound Shaper II 12 band stereo equalizer with bad switches that I may be able to use for an interim manually controlled unit. I had thought about repairing it but I haven't really needed an eq for years. It is however a nice box with two meters and 24 50K faders. What I am not sure of is whether they are linear or log. If they are log I think I could gang 6 of them together and use another 6 to adjust the relative levels of each channel. That way I could get to work on the tube stages while my brother works on the digital decoding stuff.

mike

Hide this!Advertise here!