• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Alternative filament supply for 01A line stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

This is my simple 01A line stage. Currently using the solid state power supply as seen in the schematic. The 01A filaments are getting supply from two unregulated 5V DC wall warts which causes hum, quite loud.

Since I like the sound, I'm planning to use the alternative PSU at the bottom of the drawing.

Do you think the filament supply is enough? I've seen some laced with lots of capacitance and common mode chokes.

Is it better to use a voltage regulation or current regulation for a DHT tube?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• ak-210.gif
    ak-210.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 396
It is definitely better to use current regulation - sounds better. A good design is the RonanReg, but I don't quite know where to find the schematic online. It has two voltage regs and the third and last stage configured as a current reg.

You can get a reasonably good result by using a common mode choke at the end of two voltage regs (better than voltage regs alone), but the current source sounds cleaner. There is no benefit in putting a CMC at the end of a current source, in fact it sounds worse for some reason.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Arnoldc,
Definitely go with the current regulation, with adequate passive filtration ahead of the current regulator you won't need additional voltage regulation. I use a very similar circuit to what you have drawn in a lot of my dht projects including a line stage and it works well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.