• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Yaqin MC10L and KT88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone .
It is my first time on this site and people sound cool and the website is totally what I was looking for !!!

1-I bought a Yaqin MC10L 3 months ago and i never had any Problems on this amp but I want to upgrade this Amps with KT88 ( Or Equivalent ) without touching the elecytroni components , I would like to know if someone already tried this operation .

2-In the meantime what can happen if I change the Tube without modifying the components ( If Needed) Is there something which gonna Burn or ruin my Amp ( Or Lamps )?

3-I was told to check the bias and If the current in the Amps is Powerful enought I was told I could change it without any problems? Is That True (If Yes do you know a good tutorial that shows how to make that Operation ?

Sorry for so many question But I am a beginner and I am looking for a lot of Info
In case of need Here is My Amp : http://www.yaqin.cn/en/products_hf.html
Thankls in advance for your Help
Ben

Welcome to the forum! You're living in my favorite city in France.

Now the bad news: there will almost certainly be changes to the circuit required in order to successfully and safely swap output tubes. To start with, you'll need a schematic of the circuit. Do you have one or have you traced it out yourself?

Do you have the basic tools necessary to do this right? At minimum, a good multimeter, a signal generator, an oscilloscope, and a dummy load.

Do you have experience working in high voltage circuitry? If not, don't even think about doing this; death is easy to find and hard to get rid of.

Do you have a clear reason for why you want to change the output tubes? Random tube swapping might be entertaining, but it is unlikely to bring you audio nirvana.

edit: Here's some copy from the linked site that I find amusing:

Grade has enlarged circuit and " long end type " phase inverter for SRPP ago, output transformer adopt Japan produce audio frequency special-purpose silicon steel sheet (Z10 ) and high strength enameled wire and special to is it make craft make to wind.

Hello SY

Thanks for your reply , Nice to know that you like the city !! Are you American 'cause I ve been living in NYC for 3 Years and I loved it so much ...:bawling:

Anyway , The reason of the upgrade is that I tried the almost the same Amps equipied with KT88 and the sound is way better than Mine : Clearer , more muscal and deeper .

I do not have the circuit unfortunately and I really do not know how to get it .

I never experienced something like that before thats why i was asking advice in order to avoid ... Death !!:D

Well Can you tell the risk I can encounter if I Change the lamp without changing some component ( By the way ; What are generaly the components you have to change for such an Update ? Any idea? Transformers / Resistors ??? )

Thanks For your help And if you are in LYON soon , you are more than Welcome... Anytime
Take care
ben

Typically, some minor socket rewiring is needed. The bias network will need to be changed to accommodate the new tubes. The output transformer may not be suitable- the optimum load impedances are different between KT88 and EL34. Compensation and feedback will need to be reworked.

Yes, I'm American, but about 5000km from New York. I'm near San Francisco, which is very similar to Lyon in some important ways (physically beautiful, sitting between two great wine regions, and a culinary center). We even have a Michelin *** nearby.

edit:

Some lives in Napa Valley, other in the Vallée du Rhone.

Coincidently, we drank some Brezeme last night. (sorry for the bad orthography, accents are difficult on an English keyboard)

megalodementia said:

I do not have the circuit unfortunately and I really do not know how to get it .

Salut Ben,

You *DO* have the circuit, and you *DO* know how to get it...
You just have to take look inside your amp, and (try to) draw a schematic!

If you think you're not able to accomplish such a task, just make some good, sharp, well focused, close up photos of the inside!

I'm pretty sure Sy only likes Lyon because it's neatly between the northern and the southern côtes du Rhône. :D

Paul (Côtes du canal du midi)

for some reason valves in chinese are always translated as gallstone or bladder by the likes of babel fish!

Anyway, I noticed in the for sale section that there is now a dealer for yaqin products in the UK and he will do repairs etc etc. Would be a good resource for those with these amps. At least you won't have a language barrier

Fran

Those are nice movies, but what's needed for people to trace the circuit are actual still photos of the boards top and bottom.

My own take is that if you can't trace a circuit out yourself, you probably shouldn't be fooling around with high voltages and expensive components. Just my advice, FWIW.

There you go!

SY To be honest if it is only resistors to replace I can definitely do it ... But If there is something too specific , I refuse to do anthing in case I would break something or hurt myself ////

Anyway SY can explain if you have a moment how to measure the Bias and How to st it up correctly ( I believe the 3rd picture show the bias + and - how should i set it up correctly ????

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Come back with good news

Now the underside, s'il te plait. Also, it's difficult to read the resistor values in the bias string. Maybe someone with better eyes than mine can do so. It would be worthwhile to know what the power supply voltage to that bias string is.

It appears that you measure idle current (that's not the same thing as "bias," though the terms tend to get confused) by putting your voltmeter across the 10R resistors. There's two brass fixtures there for convenience. Without a manual, it's difficult to know what the proper idle current is, but as a good start, figure that you want something like 50mA, which would work out to 0.5V across those resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.