• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help me read tube data sheets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As a newbie, I cannot understand a lot of abbreviations in a tube data sheet. Can you please help me explain them, how to apply them, which parameters I should pay most attention to:
Vh, Ih, VaMax, PaMax, Cgk, Cak, Cga, Va, Vg1, Ia, Ra, S, Rk, Zout, Pout, THD and etc.

Thanks a lot.

You need the REST of the tube manual too - there's a list of abbreviations, and much more general information. Get one from eBay - most any one will do, but RCA and Sylvania have more data. Or just read one online... many are listed on my tech page: http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/Techno.html

But here's a start:

Vh- Heater voltage
Ih - heater current
VaMax - maximum plate (anode) voltage
PaMax - maximum plate power dissipation
Cgk capacitance grid-cathode
Cak - " anode-cathode
Cga - " grid-plate
Va Plate voltage
Vg1 - Grid voltage
Ia - plate current
Ra Plate resistance
S - transconductance - measured in Siemens (aka mhos) (inverse of ohms)
Rk - cathode resistor
Zout - output impedance
Pout - Power out
THD - Total Harmonic Distortion

Andersen said:
As a newbie, I cannot understand a lot of abbreviations in a tube data sheet. Can you please help me explain them, how to apply them, which parameters I should pay most attention to:
Vh, Ih, VaMax, PaMax, Cgk, Cak, Cga, Va, Vg1, Ia, Ra, S, Rk, Zout, Pout, THD and etc.

Thanks a lot.

last year I think, there was a series of replies by SY in regards to reading tube data including the curves.

I do not know where it is though. maybe a search on the forums using "SY" on the username.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.