• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Low vs High aka Series vs Parallel Filaments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there,

AC, DC or regulated?

12.6v makes the DC / regulating easier, - less current smaller components and so on.

Individually controlling 6.3v to each triode section sometimes helps with the matching between sections. Although I've never tested across an individual tube, I've seen a couple of 6.3v tubes in series :whazzat: (oh dear) where the second tube had only 5v on the heater pins...

BTW AK_47_boy. is this a power output tube or a pre-amp tube? how much current are we talking about here?

Andy

andrew_whitham said:
I've seen a couple of 6.3v tubes in series :whazzat: (oh dear) where the second tube had only 5v on the heater pins...

You are lucky Andy, I've never seen that.

If the tube have separate filaments like 12AX7 there is no harm in connecting them in series, the tube is designed for such operations. I even use 6P3S-E tubes with filaments in series to power them from the same 12.6V source I use to rectify and regulate for small tubes. However, I have to use similar tubes, for example don't mix 6P3S-E and Chinese 6L6GC, but it is not a problem since anyway it is better to use matched tubes in the output stage.

)

Wavebourn said:

You are lucky Andy, I've never seen that.

Yeah I felt lucky too :D

Maybe I wasn't clear these were separate tubes - both JAN 6922's for the record. Not a combined tube,

However it got me (at first) thinking that the same problem might exist in a shared envelope. I know it shouldnt, but. On the tubes I've seen in bits they have 2 separate heaters linked by a bar under the mica. I guess that the 2 heaters are not necesarilly forced to be *identical* but they must be from roughly the same production run :D - close enough then?

Incidentally wavebourn, do you current or voltage regulate? current regulation of multiple tubes in series seems to be logical, although I've never tried it. (and I cant find that reference either!)

Cheers

Andy

Re: )

andrew_whitham said:

However it got me (at first) thinking that the same problem might exist in a shared envelope. I know it shouldnt, but. On the tubes I've seen in bits they have 2 separate heaters linked by a bar under the mica. I guess that the 2 heaters are not necesarilly forced to be *identical* but they must be from roughly the same production run :D - close enough then?

Factory rejects out of specs?

Incidentally wavebourn, do you current or voltage regulate? current regulation of multiple tubes in series seems to be logical, although I've never tried it. (and I cant find that reference either!)

Andy

I regulate a voltage, but limit a current on the level just above needed for hot tubes though they start slower.

ak_47_boy said:
Its a directly heated thoriated filament output tube.

Then I would definitely parallel them. With DC heating a series connection would put the two 'cathodes' 6.3V apart making it difficult or impossible to get them both to bias up the same.

With AC heating, a series connection makes it impossible to null heater supply hum. The best you could do is to ground the center connection between the two filaments. In that case, one end of each would be grounded (obviously) while the other end would be swinging 6.3V. That's the same as applying a 3.15V 60Hz signal between grid and cathode. It makes the amp hum.

What you want to do is create a virtual ground at the center point of each filament so that either end is swinging 3.15V and the two ends are out of phase. The grid to cathode voltage (averaged across the entire filament) remains fairly constant thus reducing hum. This is typically accomplished by grounding the CT of the filament transformer, or putting a pair of equal resistors across the filament with the center connection grounded, or using a hum pot with the wiper grounded.

-- Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.