• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Great Tempe Audio Shootout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today was the big day. Charlie Butterworth dropped by to determine once and for all which is better:

1) Records (via the Anderson Aikido phono) or CDs.
2) The $37 overachiever Toshiba 3990 or the $800+ highly praised Rega player.
3) The 6SN7 based (QUIET) Butterworth Best Line versus the line portion of the Anderson High Gain Honey 6SL7 Aikido.

We pretty much failed in all three but we had a great time. My take, for what its worth:

1)Shockingly, to me, the full function phono pre (ECC85, 6DJ8, RIAA, selector switch, shunt volume, 6SL7, 6SN7) and the Rega sounded VERY similar. Those reviewers who opined that the SS Rega sounds very tube like really nailed it in my opinion. I wanted to experiment with a low resistance RIAA circuit, made possible by the Aikido CF and Ruskie teflon caps. I'm quite happy with the result.
2)Relax people, the Toshiba did not trounce the Rega but it was a lot closer than most would expect, I'm sure. The tonal quality was similar and both were low distortion devices. To me, the biggest difference is what causes me to prefer records in my system. The Toshiba presents a flat (little depth) perspective versus the phono or the Rega. (Paper ships on a paper sea as HP once said).
3)My Aikido was JUST as quiet as Charlies. So there! His is a lot prettier and his wiring puts me to shame. Wish you had been able to make it.

I must say, Bruce has summarized our listening quite succinctly. His "years of ears" really seem tuned to many of the nuances of the variety of music that we listened to.

My biggest impression was the sound cissuing forth from the Lowther single driver speakers - WOW. Yes, the low-end was not quite what I am used to, but the mid-range was to dye for. Vocals sounded amazing, and the drums on the Peter Green CD were felt in the chest as well as heard by the ear.

Bruce, I enjoyed your Ukele CD/record. If you're interested check out Ukele Summit 5 - Grateful Dead covers by various ukele bands.

So, my next project should be a separate phono-stage to plug into my Aikido? Of course, I'll have to bring as much of my vinyl back from England when we visit there in May. I just hope that my old record collection has survived long term storage in my parent's house.

Another point that I learned is that the Home Audition is an absolute MUST. When in the market for a CD-player to replace my toshiba 3950, I got two CD-players on home demo. The first was the Music Hall cd25.2. Indeed it really outshone the Toshiba, soundstage appeared more precise (although I was not present at any recording studio mixing booths - so what do I know?), or at least, I could get a clear idea of where in the soundstage L-R / F-B the instruments should be. Bass was also much better, more robust, but not boomy. Anyway, I overlapped the Music Hall demo with a home-demo of the Rega. To put it briefly, what the Music Hall did over the Toshiba, the Rega did over the Music Hall. If I had Bruce's system, would I have purchased the Rega over his Toshiba given the difference in price??? What really shines in one person's system may be duller in someone else's.

As far as beauty goes, some of the prettiest are the dumbest. My Aikido is far from being a prom-queen. She's cute and works. While Bruce underestimates the beauty of his Aikido, she sure sounds sweet.

Charlie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.