• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A thought on Cathode feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody!

The Michigan Technological University Audio Engineering Soceity is having an equipment listening session this sunday, and I have agreed to bring my EL34 SET amp along. I want the amp sounding its absolute best, so I am tweaking it.

The first thing I did was take measurements to make sure everything was on spec (it is :) ).

After measuring everything, I took off the Cathode Feedback, The amp's Midrange came to life, however the bass died a painfull death. So this leads me to thinking. What if I use One capacitor to bypass all of the high frequencies to gound, and another Capacitor to allow all the low frequencies to to become part of a cathode feeback loop. I even came up with a schematic in eagle to show everyone what I am thinking about, now, as you see this, you must understand that this schematic only shows the bias circuitry, not the entire output stage

Will this work? Does it look like a good idea? I know I will have to be carfull picking capacitor values, and The CK will have to be far smaller than CF (see Schematic).

my other questions about this are dependent on the fact that it will work, How do I find the impedances to base the cap values off of?

Any help would be sooo apreciated

Attachments

• advanced cathode feedback.gif
    advanced cathode feedback.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 373
SY said:
Welcome to the world of tone controls!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also, think of frequency dependent load of the amp by capacitors across the speaker...

alexmoose said:
Will anything bad happen if I just start playing around with this? because I think that is what I am going to do, just play around...

Nothing is bad in getting an experience. But as soon as you've asked we are answering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.