• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ccs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi here is:

Attachments

• self_bias_ccs.gif
    self_bias_ccs.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 546
Ryssen said:

Wavebourn:How do you calculate R2 and R3 in your schema?

They define a working point for a tube, i.e. voltage drop accross the transistors. The resistor in emitter defines a current, for example you want a voltage drop accross it 2V, so for 5 mA it will be 390 Ohm approximately.
Now, we need about 2.5V on R2, right?
Suppose beta of Q1 is 500, so base current will be 10 uA. For a good thermal stability let's a current through resistors will be 10 times higher, 100 uA. It means, R2 is 51K. For 30V on transistors (enough for a mic- or input stage of a power- amp) voltage across R3 will be about 27V, it means R3 will be 510K.

Let's take 12V Zener, and 1 mA across it is enough. Q2 don't need a high beta, it must be high voltage, and dissipate the calculated power.

For a driver stage for output toobs a voltage drop across the CCS we want higher, it means R3 needs to be of a higher value, and Q2 needs to be able to dissipate more power.

Some 1000 uF cap in parallel with Zener may be used to get lower noise level on very high frequencies (really, you may not need it)

More questions?

forr said:
Hi Irakli,
I felt puzzled by fig 3A.
http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx...ia/jung2778.pdf
I think splitting R1 in two 5 kOhm's and adding a decoupling cap to the +18V rail should provide much better rejection.

It depends on a dynamic resistance of that +18V source. If it is good enough lovering R1 value worsens results. I'd better use one more CCS instead of the R1 (for example, one JFET).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.