Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 26th May 2018, 04:34 AM   #1
dasa2131 is offline dasa2131  United States
diyAudio Member

Default SE Parts questions

Hello everyone,

My name is Dave, and I'd love to build an SE amp. I've ordered most of the parts from DigiKey. I'm now trying to order the remaining parts from AES. Please bear with these questions - I'm grateful for any help I can get. Here goes:

1. What exact AES part number (or model #) should I order for C9 and C11 (.22uF 400V (or higher) tubular capacitor). I can't seem to find the C-AUD47-400 part # that's listed on George's website. Is metal film capacitor C-TD22-400 the right one?

2. What is the AES part number for the 4 pin (2A3 size) socket? George's website says "P-ST4-205M", but I can't seem to find it.

3. I've read through George's description for the output transformers, but I'm not quite sure what Edcor models to order. If I want to use 300B tubes, What input impedance Edcor GXSE transformers do I use? 5K? 8k?

4. I feel foolish for asking this, but what power transformer (Edcor) is suitable?

Thank you very much - any help is greatly appreciated!

Dave
Old 26th May 2018, 02:39 PM   #2
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is metal film capacitor C-TD22-400 the right one
There are many valid choices for coupling caps from budget to super expensive.

The C-TD22-400 will work, but it is a generic part.

The Solen caps are reasonably priced and work well. I would use this one.

C-FSD22-630

If you believe that more expensive caps make better sound, this is a good choice.

C-MCCD22-400

I tend toward the mid priced parts.

the 4 pin (2A3 size) socket?

P-ST4-194

Quote:
impedance Edcor GXSE transformers do I use? 5K? 8k?
Use either the 3.5 K or the 5 K OPT. The 3.5 K will provide a bit more power with a bit more distortion and some loss of damping factor. Use the 5 K transformer if you ever want to try 45 tubes.

Quote:
what power transformer (Edcor) is suitable?
The XPWR131 was specifically designed by another forum member for the TSE. It has taps for the 45 tube and the 300B tube.

Your board was sent this morning. Tracking number was emailed.
Old 26th May 2018, 03:41 PM   #3
dasa2131 is offline dasa2131  United States
diyAudio Member

George,

I'm really impressed by your speed in shipping the board and your thorough answers to my questions - thank you very much! I can't tell you how excited I am to try building the SE.

Thanks again,

Dave

SE Parts questionsHide this!Advertise here!