Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 15th May 2018, 12:47 AM   #1
pitchinwedge is offline pitchinwedge  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New SSE test stage and questions

Yay, I'm just about finished assembling my SSE. I built it with all the options: UL/triode switch, SS/Tube switch, CFB switch, and a rotary switch to change cathode bias resistor values. Is it OK to toggle any/all of the switches while the amp is powered on? Would like to do some instant A/B comparisons of the various modes if possible. Thanks!
Old 19th May 2018, 01:35 PM   #2
akimmet is offline akimmet  United States
diyAudio Member

No, do not change any settings with the power on! All of them can destroy speakers with loud pops. Changing some of the settings while on can potentially kill your amp too.
Unfortunately I also recommend waiting for the tube rectifier to be able to cool off between power ups. Tube rectifiers can arc over and destroy themselves if powered back on while still hot.
Old 19th May 2018, 02:52 PM   #3
pitchinwedge is offline pitchinwedge  United States
diyAudio Member

Ah.. ok thanks for the info!

Edit: now I’m really glad I built the amp with all of the controls inside the enclosure! Rambunctious 7 yr old boy in the house!

Last edited by pitchinwedge; 19th May 2018 at 02:55 PM.

New SSE test stage and questionsHide this!Advertise here!