Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 2nd May 2018, 09:58 AM   #1
Toxicguy is offline Toxicguy  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Default Headphone SE amplifier

Hello

At first I would like to give thanks to George for his excellent projects which he shares to the enthusiasts wishing to repeat this or that scheme of the tube amplifier. About two years ago I have repeated his SSE amplifier. I used TAD KT88 tubes and Hammond 1628SEA output transformers. There are some pictures of it. I am very happy with result. The quality of sound has appeared above my expectations.

Now after reading this article Headphone Amp | Tubelab I'm thinking abou build of headphone SE amplifier. Well, for these purpose I have found this output transformer TRANSFORMERS FOR HEADPHONE AMPLIFIERS - model 9351. My headphones are with 250 Ohm impedance.

Unfortunately I'm not so good with schematic calculating, that's why I ask your help:

1. Is this transformer approaching to original diagram without any changes?
2. Using for example 2A3 output tubes, is it possible to reduce B+ voltage to reach less power for headphones output? 100k volume control also will be added.
3. I asked already about Sharp PQ5EV5 voltage regulator. DigiKey is not the best option for me. So, is this regulator ok for general SE project MIC29752 - Linear Regulators - Microcontrollers and Processors ?

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amp1.jpg (94.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Amp2.jpg (164.7 KB, 134 views)
Old 3rd May 2018, 01:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

As I understood correctly the theory, bigger load impedance of output transformer also reduce the power and at same time improves distortion factor. If I'm right, probably 10k transformer (model 8988) is better for my built?
Old 9th May 2018, 08:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

One more question - if I want B+ voltage below 300 V for 2A3 tubes (275 V for example), which values of R14 and R25 should I use?
Old 9th May 2018, 08:42 AM   #4
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

If you want to use tube amp you already have with headphones, i recomment little dividing network, just two resistors.
I built headphone jack into small box with resistors, and short cable leads go directly to speaker outlet. This way noise and hum is supressed too, and normal volume settings are used.
Audio Pages: Headphone amplifier

Headphone SE amplifierHide this!Advertise here!