• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Alternative part for TSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello I've searched and this part seems to be an ongoing issue as it gets obsolete and then the replacement eventually also becomes obsolete ! Lol

It's the the mosfits part number 2sk3563, I found what I think is a good replacement but I have to admit while I've gotten pretty good at matching specs for some other passive components I'm just not sure when it comes to silicon.

So here is what is found

Mouse part# 757-TK5A50DSTA4QM

Manufacturer: Toshiba
Product Category: MOSFET
RoHS: Details
Technology: Si
Mounting Style: Through Hole
Package / Case: TO-220-3
Number of Channels: 1 Channel
Transistor Polarity: N-Channel
Vds - Drain-Source Breakdown Voltage: 500 V
Id - Continuous Drain Current: 5 A
Rds On - Drain-Source Resistance: 1.5 Ohms
Vgs th - Gate-Source Threshold Voltage: 2.4 V
Vgs - Gate-Source Voltage: 10 V
Qg - Gate Charge: 11 nC
Maximum Operating Temperature: + 150 C
Configuration: Single
Pd - Power Dissipation: 35 W
Channel Mode: Enhancement
Packaging: Reel
Height: 15 mm
Length: 10 mm
Series: TK5A50D
Transistor Type: 1 N-Channel
Width: 4.5 mm
Brand: Toshiba
Fall Time: 8 ns
Product Type: MOSFET
Rise Time: 18 ns
Factory Pack Quantity: 50
Subcategory: MOSFETs
Typical Turn-Off Delay Time: 55 ns
Typical Turn-On Delay Time: 40 ns
Unit Weight: 0.211644 oz

Can anyone confirm this will work? George chime in if you can please? LoL
I'll attach the data sheet if I can.

Attachments

• TK5A50D_datasheet_en_20131101-707928.pdf
    176.5 KB · Views: 61
I'll second the request for confirmation. I decided to go for a TSE build myself this past week, but a search of Mouser and Digi-key has shown zero availability for the original part. It appears you've done your homework, but like you I'm a bit wary (read inexperienced) of choosing solid-state replacements.

On paper the Toshiba fet you found should work, but I haven't tried it. The issue today is that parts show up and if they haven't found a million unit plus sales slot within a year or so they vanish.

I have been using these two in recent builds with excellent success, but as usual they have both been discontinued. Mouser has 500+ of the bigger one. They work fine in my HV mosfet driver circuits including the TSE.

NDF04N60:

NDF04N60ZG-001 ON Semiconductor | Mouser

NDF02N60:

NDF04N60ZG-001 ON Semiconductor | Mouser

Any chance this would work?

I haven't tried them, but it should work fine.

In general you want a low Crss, under 10 pF and you want a zener protected gate so that it won't be blown in the event of a power surge or turn off followed by an immediate turn back on. The built in zeners used to be common, but the current trend seems to leave them out, or possibly not document them.

That was a daily event where I lived in Florida during the summer lightning season. A non protected fet will work most of the time, but I have seen them killed by lightning induced power surges or second or two blackouts.

I haven't tried them, but it should work fine.

In general you want a low Crss, under 10 pF and you want a zener protected gate so that it won't be blown in the event of a power surge or turn off followed by an immediate turn back on. The built in zeners used to be common, but the current trend seems to leave them out, or possibly not document them.

That was a daily event where I lived in Florida during the summer lightning season. A non protected fet will work most of the time, but I have seen them killed by lightning induced power surges or second or two blackouts.

Thanks George

The Crss number often varies with the applied voltage and thus may not be stated as a number but there is usually a graph. In this case it is Diagram 14 or page 10. It looks to be around 1 to 2 pF.

Note that this is a unique package to meet UL creepage requirements and may not fit in an existing TO220 PC board without some lead bending.

Also note the "ferrite beads on the gate lead" statement. The low capacitance of this part might make for a good oscillator, but I haven't tried it yet. I still haven't blown up all my ON Semi fets yet. For 94 cents each I'll get some with my next Mouser order.

Thanks for your response George. I totally missed the diagram.

For a different project I ordered the STF3LN80K5, with Crss published at 0.2pF. There is a similar graph (figure 8, page 7).

In general it seems the FETs with lower continuous drain current also have lower Crss. It helps when picking through the product filters at one of the popular vendor websites.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.