• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Speaker terminal question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I am getting ready to test my SSE build on a breadboard of sorts, thing is I do not have proper speaker terminals yet. I was going to use mains rated plastic terminal strips to connect speakers, but I'm unsure if they need to be grounded as George has them in his wiring diagrams.

I configured the board for nearly the simplest configuration, triode mode no CFB, it does have a choke and a supplemental cap. I intend to try it out like that before adding all the bells and wistles such as switches for ultralinear, rectifier, and cfb. I have all the switches volume and rca inputs on a metal plate so everything is grounded and will run grounds for choke and transformers to iec but im not sure if I need to run a ground from the plastic terminal strips for the speakers.

Some pics of test bed.

Attachments

• 20180323_012602.jpg
    20180323_012602.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 202
  • 20180323_012550.jpg
    20180323_012550.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 20180323_012541.jpg
    20180323_012541.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 213
This is so frustrating because there is not a lot of info on installing binding posts in an amp! When I Google it I get tons of "how to hook up speaker to your amp" but nothing on wiring posts into an amp.
According to George's wiring diagram the ground is tied into one of the two wires from the opt I'm assuming the common wire? Then attached to the post?

As stupid as this may seem I have never wired a speaker terminal/post before and have no clue. I just got my posts in the mail and it seems the metal post is isolated from whatever your case is made from by rubber washers? True? Ah! It was easier to solder the entire project! Someone help!? Please? Lol

I'm not sure I understand what your question is, but for testing a breadboard amp, I would just get a handful of wire nuts and use those to connect the OPT secondary leads to the speaker wires for your TEST speakers.

Even clip leads would work.

Win W5JAG

This is so frustrating because there is not a lot of info on installing binding posts in an amp! When I Google it I get tons of "how to hook up speaker to your amp" but nothing on wiring posts into an amp.
According to George's wiring diagram the ground is tied into one of the two wires from the opt I'm assuming the common wire? Then attached to the post?

As stupid as this may seem I have never wired a speaker terminal/post before and have no clue. I just got my posts in the mail and it seems the metal post is isolated from whatever your case is made from by rubber washers? True? Ah! It was easier to solder the entire project! Someone help!? Please? Lol

Yes its the common wire.
Sometimes the live speaker wire is used as a feedback connection too.
I don't know without a circuit diagram.

I'm not sure I understand what your question is, but for testing a breadboard amp, I would just get a handful of wire nuts and use those to connect the OPT secondary leads to the speaker wires for your TEST speakers.

Win W5JAG

This is a tubelab see board and according to the wiring diagram there is a ground to from the speaker posts. At least for the configuration it is currently in. I just want to be certain I'm reading it correctly.

I didn't think you are supposed to ground the coil of a transformer but that is what it appears to be telling me. Am I wrong? Lol

Attachments

• SSE_grounding_1.jpg
    SSE_grounding_1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 182
  • Simple_SE_Amp_Sch_11-08.pdf
    309.7 KB · Views: 45
The common side of the OPT secondary is grounded mainly for safety reasons. It also used for Cathode Feedback (CFB).

Although very uncommon, it is possible for an OPT to develop a short, primary to secondary and still pass audio in the normal fashion. This will put B+ voltage on your speaker wires and could fry an unsuspecting user. Grounding one side of the OPT secondary will cause the amp's fuse to blow if this did occur. I have seen one such shorted OPT in my 50 + years of messing with tube amps. It was in a Fender Bandmaster, and caused the fuse to blow, after taking out the power supply diodes.

Sometimes the live speaker wire is used as a feedback connection too.

The live (not common) speaker wire on the OPT is used for CFB if this option is used.

I didn't think you are supposed to ground the coil of a transformer

The common side of the OPT MUST be grounded if CFB is used, or the feedback will not work. There are some "audiophools" out there who claim the the amp sounds better if the secondary is left floating. It is possible that a floating secondary would present a few pF less capacitance, so in theory a difference could be measured with a really wimpy tube or a lousy OPT. I prefer to always ground the OPT for safety and noise pickup / radiation issues on the speaker leads.

Temporary testing can be done without the ground but CFB will not work.

Who would do such a thing........Almost anything could be done if you have enough clip leads.......even, try some different tubes in an SSE.....which led to a new SE PC board.....and more clip leads!

You can even use those plastic "euro strips" to build an entire amp too.

Attachments

• Furball_board_2_b.jpg
    Furball_board_2_b.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 158
  • Working_Setup_b.jpg
    Working_Setup_b.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Spud_Amp_2_b.jpg
    Spud_Amp_2_b.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 6AV5_amp.jpg
    6AV5_amp.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 69
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.