• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

End Bells for Triad C-14 X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking for some end bells for my Triad C-14 X choke and can't find any so I am going to make some. Would it be ok to drill holes through were the red dots are in this picture so I can put some bolts through them?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180223-211822.jpg
    Screenshot_20180223-211822.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 246
I took some end bells off a power transformer salvaged from a RF sweep generator and stuck them on a Triad choke. They worked fine. An electrical short across the gap doesn't matter. A magnetic short might, but the end bell material is thin and coated, so it might shunt some flux, but not that much. Many chokes and SE OPT's contain a mylar or paper spacer in the gap. It is important to retain the spacing of the gap, so don't mess with the spacer. Transfer the guts intact from the Triad sleeve to the end bells. Don't separate the sections.

Some cores already have the holes under the sheet metal bracket. Then, like George said, it's fine to remove the bracket and use end bells of the right size. These Triads don't seem to have the holes.

Why is it a bad idea? :confused:
Edcor does not sell this size, I looked.
If i wanted to mount it under the chassis I wouldn't need end bells ;)

Try it and you'll see. Silicon Steel is hard and brittle.

These Triads don't seem to have the holes.

I looked at a Triad C-17X choke that was sitting on my workbench and it has 4 holes in the corners. It must be about 5 years old. I opened the brand new one I just got from Mouser to match it....they are quite different, and the new ones indeed have no holes......so much for that idea.

The choke with the plastic bobbin is the new one.

Attachments

• P1000736_x.jpg
    P1000736_x.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 226
I have never tried it, but drilling through laminations (if possible) may mess up the magnetics by creating eddy current paths that were not intended in the design. Each lamination is coated with a nonconductive layer. The laminations with the holes were drilled before coating. Drilling will expose bare metal.

That said, I doubt that 4 holes will totally trash a choke, but the thin and brittle metal will tend to grab the drill bit. If you have a drill press, a drill bit and spare choke to try, let us know what happens.

You could stop me or anyone else by explaining why it's a bad idea.

In addition to what George said, the heat generated by a drill will likely destroy the integrity of the domains in the metal and thus ruin the magnetic properties of the core. You'd need a lot of coolant etc. On and on. Sometimes when people give a short answer it's a clue for the OP to do his/her own research. This could be one place to start: Electrical steel - Wikipedia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.