• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Suitable UK transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm using the purpose built Edcor power tranny in a 240V version. Now to be fair I got it whilst I was living in the US (I had the US version too) but given it is specced for the SE it might be worth the cost of shipping one over to be honest.

I got the James output trannys direct form the far east. Gorgeous!

I use a 240v transformer for power, can i still use a 120v one for output transformer

The power transformer MUST match the mains (line) voltage and frequency that you are going to use it on. The output transformer (OPT) does not have a mains voltage rating.

The OPT must only match the tube impedance, the speaker impedance, and the power output capability. Thus a 5K to 8 ohm OPT from Europe or the UK is interchangeable with a similar unit from the US or anyplace else. Beware some people lie about the true power rating. The weight of the OPT will give some indication of its quality and power output capability in the bass region. A "10 Watt" OPT that weighs 1 Kg will not deliver the bass that a "10 Watt" OPT that weighs 5 Kg will.

This is another source that customers in Europe might find handy for output transformers - no experience with the store though:

TTG-EL84SE TOROIDY - Transformer: speaker | TME - Electronic components

These are toroidal output transformers. My personal experience is with EI core only.

You will also need to consider how the amp will look. EI core transformers with painted end bells usually have a nice finished look.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.