Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 14th February 2018, 05:36 PM   #1
jloaf is offline jloaf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Suitable UK transformers

I am considering an SSE and SE build.

I was wondering if any UK based builders could point me in the direction of suitable power and output transformers.

The Edcor don't seem to be available from UK suppliers

TIA
Old 14th February 2018, 09:38 PM   #2
moggi1964 is offline moggi1964  England
diyAudio Member

I'm using the purpose built Edcor power tranny in a 240V version. Now to be fair I got it whilst I was living in the US (I had the US version too) but given it is specced for the SE it might be worth the cost of shipping one over to be honest.

I got the James output trannys direct form the far east. Gorgeous!
Old 14th February 2018, 11:08 PM   #3
juststeve is offline juststeve  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

XPWR059
These guys post to the UK. It`s where I got mine from, postage was fair.
Old 15th February 2018, 06:28 AM   #4
jloaf is offline jloaf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Jst one more question. If I use a 240v transformer for power, can i still use a 120v one for output transformer if the circuit is designed that way?
Old 15th February 2018, 07:51 AM   #5
gholl is offline gholl  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I can think of Souter Transformers and VVT Transformers. Both should be well known the UK.
Old 15th February 2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I use a 240v transformer for power, can i still use a 120v one for output transformer
The power transformer MUST match the mains (line) voltage and frequency that you are going to use it on. The output transformer (OPT) does not have a mains voltage rating.

The OPT must only match the tube impedance, the speaker impedance, and the power output capability. Thus a 5K to 8 ohm OPT from Europe or the UK is interchangeable with a similar unit from the US or anyplace else. Beware some people lie about the true power rating. The weight of the OPT will give some indication of its quality and power output capability in the bass region. A "10 Watt" OPT that weighs 1 Kg will not deliver the bass that a "10 Watt" OPT that weighs 5 Kg will.
Old 15th February 2018, 04:20 PM   #7
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Suitable UK transformers
This is another source that customers in Europe might find handy for output transformers - no experience with the store though:

TTG-EL84SE TOROIDY - Transformer: speaker | TME - Electronic components

These are toroidal output transformers. My personal experience is with EI core only.

You will also need to consider how the amp will look. EI core transformers with painted end bells usually have a nice finished look.
Old 15th February 2018, 06:31 PM   #8
JonSnell Electronic is online now JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Electrical Transfomers & Electrical Transformer Manufacturer UK
Excellent service and a pleasure to deal with.

Toroids are not recommended for output stages as the flux will make them very inefficient.

Last edited by JonSnell Electronic; 15th February 2018 at 06:34 PM. Reason: More info
Old 15th February 2018, 07:42 PM   #9
gholl is offline gholl  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
Toroids are not recommended for output stages as the flux will make them very inefficient.
Please explain. I designed toroids at ILP in the eighties and also collaborated with Stan Kelly on broadband (50Hz to 5MHz) versions.

Suitable UK transformersHide this!Advertise here!