Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 31st December 2017, 04:29 PM   #1
KinklessTetrode59 is offline KinklessTetrode59  United States
diyAudio Member

Default B+ increases to unloaded value while 300B plate current goes to almost zero

Seems i have a silicon problem - on Tubelab SE i have the following parameters:
B+ about 330 on R30
B- about -230 on R7
Hammond 276X wired on the Black wire (My house voltage is solid 120VAC)
Filament Voltage on Regulator is 5.25VAC
Regulated DC Filament voltage is right about 5 VDC
Grid on 5842 is about 175VDC
Plate Current after a few minutes of warm up on 300B (new Genelex Lions) is about 60ma
Using UBT-3 output transformers
Temp of silicon does not go much above 70 C (i added extra heat sinking)
Sound is excellent and no hum until i get runaway

After about 30 mins or longer or shorter its not the same, B+ goes to unloaded value (around 400 VDC), plate current on 300B goes to about zero and of course music stops. It seems more unstable as i increase B+ and plate current (I have on variac), works best if B+ stays lower. I decreased R4 to 120ohm to get higher B+ (150ohm gave me about 305 VDC), problem seems to have started but i am not sure after change of R4, i was still in check out mode.

Plans: Verify good solder on pins of silicon i got a couple that do not seem to go through the board, put 150 ohm back for R4 and reduce B- to closer to -150 with smaller R7.

Am i missing anything?

Thanks guys
Old 31st December 2017, 11:29 PM   #2
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Watch the filaments in the 300B in a dark room when the music stops. If they go dark the filament regulator is overheating and shutting down to protect itself. A bigger heat sink, or better air flow is the solution.
Old 31st December 2017, 11:55 PM   #3
KinklessTetrode59 is offline KinklessTetrode59  United States
diyAudio Member

Its the regulator - it hates being at 50+C, put another heat sink on it and a small fan and it appears to be resolved thanks for the input.
Old 1st January 2018, 03:25 AM   #4
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

My very first TSE did the same thing. The heat sink liberated from a Pentium 1 chip (the green thing) fixed it up.

That amp is stuffed into a very small box with near zero airflow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lexan_1_A.jpg (328.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Lexan_2_A.jpg (249.2 KB, 36 views)

B+ increases to unloaded value while 300B plate current goes to almost zeroHide this!Advertise here!