Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2017, 10:01 PM   #1
moggi1964 is offline moggi1964  England
diyAudio Member
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sale. UK
Default Quick thoughts on rectifier arcing

Tested my Se on the bench and everything went fine. Soldered the choke, and OPT's and put the whole thing into the case. Fired up and the rectifier arced so I quickly shut her down.

Soldering looks fine and tests for conductivity.

Box is wood and top plate is copper. Tests well for grounding.

Decided it will need to wait till after Christmas before I can look at it but wondered if there are any obvious places to look given the rectifier arced?

Ta and Merry Christmas!
__________________
Pioneer XCHM86. Vista Phono1+ w/ TEAC TN-400. Loth-X Ion 1 & Genesis II. WIP: Tubelab SE 300b

Last edited by moggi1964; 20th December 2017 at 10:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 10:08 PM   #2
moggi1964 is offline moggi1964  England
diyAudio Member
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sale. UK
Here's a pic
Attached Images
File Type: png Amp.png (366.8 KB, 77 views)
__________________
Pioneer XCHM86. Vista Phono1+ w/ TEAC TN-400. Loth-X Ion 1 & Genesis II. WIP: Tubelab SE 300b
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 07:36 PM   #3
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Nice job of the CU plate & wood so it looks great!

Could be bad! What brand! Age?

Could be a short somewhere also against the PCB!

It worked fine before right?

Maybe make a dim bulb tester using about a 150W bulb.

Last edited by rmyauck; 22nd December 2017 at 07:42 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 07:44 PM   #4
blu_glo is offline blu_glo  England
diyAudio Member
 
blu_glo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Tested my Se on the bench and everything went fine. Soldered the choke, and OPT's and put the whole thing into the case. Fired up and the rectifier arced so I quickly shut her down.

Soldering looks fine and tests for conductivity.

Box is wood and top plate is copper. Tests well for grounding.

Decided it will need to wait till after Christmas before I can look at it but wondered if there are any obvious places to look given the rectifier arced?

Ta and Merry Christmas!
I assume it was also unearthed when uncased. In which case (!) you might want to check for short circuit or low ohms readings from chassis/earth to choke and/or output or power transformer windings?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 07:59 PM   #5
moggi1964 is offline moggi1964  England
diyAudio Member
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sale. UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyauck View Post
Nice job of the CU plate & wood so it looks great!

Could be bad! What brand! Age?

Could be a short somewhere also against the PCB!

It worked fine before right?

Maybe make a dim bulb tester using about a 150W bulb.
Thank you.

I'll check for a short.
__________________
Pioneer XCHM86. Vista Phono1+ w/ TEAC TN-400. Loth-X Ion 1 & Genesis II. WIP: Tubelab SE 300b
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 08:00 PM   #6
moggi1964 is offline moggi1964  England
diyAudio Member
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sale. UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_glo View Post
I assume it was also unearthed when uncased. In which case (!) you might want to check for short circuit or low ohms readings from chassis/earth to choke and/or output or power transformer windings?
I will check; thanks.
__________________
Pioneer XCHM86. Vista Phono1+ w/ TEAC TN-400. Loth-X Ion 1 & Genesis II. WIP: Tubelab SE 300b
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Quick thoughts on rectifier arcingHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Tube Rectifier Question Captain archer Tubes / Valves 42 19th August 2017 12:03 AM
5U4GB (rectifier) Arcing - What to think? riverty Tubes / Valves 85 17th August 2017 03:25 PM
Lafayette amp arcing Rectifier problem engltje Tubes / Valves 9 30th December 2010 10:14 PM
a quick rectifier question demogorgon Parts 3 30th January 2005 07:44 PM
arcing in rectifier tube el capitan83 Tubes / Valves 8 9th January 2005 07:50 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki