• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab SE as a power amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,

I am wondering if I could directly connect the Tubelab SE amplifier input with the PRE OUT output signal from solid state amplifier (Denon PMA-1510AE). I have several signal sources connected to this unit and I would like to simply amplify them with Tubelab. PRE OUT output is designed to be connected with power amplifier, but I am affraid if the preamlified signal from Denon will not be too high for the Tubelab SE input. What signal level can I use on the Tubelab input? According to the service manual of Denon the PRE OUT signal level is 0.84V.

I would be very grateful for your advise.

Last edited:
Don't see why not,... If the 'Pre-out' is variable, then your Denon volume knob will control the sound (voltage) coming out of the back,.. My understanding is that it takes roughly ~2v to bring the TSE to full power. This is of course dependent upon a number of factors such as Output tubes being used, speaker efficiency, etc,.. Your Denon should be able to provide more than 2V output from a standard CD/DVD input into it. Even if the Denon preout is fixed I would imagine that it would prob. max out around 3V depending upon the source input possibly a little higher,.. Regardless, double check your manual but you shouldn't have any issue at all using it,.... it is most likely a variable out controlled by the vol. knob.

I just looked at the manual online.. it is rated at .84V is for a 125mv input and the manual reads as though this is a variable input,... so with a normal CD output ~1.5V you should def. be able to drive the TSE,.. try it, you won't hurt anything, just make sure volume knob is all the way down on the Denon when you start,....

I just looked at the manual online.. it is rated at .84V is for a 125mv input and the manual reads as though this is a variable input,... so with a normal CD output ~1.5V you should def. be able to drive the TSE,.. try it, you won't hurt anything, just make sure volume knob is all the way down on the Denon when you start,....
Great! Thank you for your help! Will try soon as I just making final assembly of TSE in the new cabinet:)

One more question - would it be reasonable to use volume control on the TSE level instead usage of Denon's volume control? As I can see on the Denon schematic (I just found one) its volume control is on the very beginning of the audio path, so I am affraid if the signal level on the pre out output will not make overload of the TSE input stage.

Use both,.. you will find a happy medium somewhere between the 2,... you may find you like the sound with Denon VC way up and the TSE VC barely up or vice versa,.. there should be a perceived difference in sound although prob minor,... It's known as gain riding,.. no wrong way,... have fun!

I'd sure like to know how it sounds. I've fed my SSE with an Accuphase C-200 (2v output) and it is by far the best sound I've had with DIY Soundgroup Tempest speakers. I've yet to finish my TL SE 45 amp, but I'm hoping it'll sound even better. As a side note I also tried the SSE with a CJ PV-8 with the same Tempest speakers (a little too mushy? sounding) Also tried the C-200 with the matching P-300 sand amp and it sounded too edgy, but with great detail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.