• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Knockout punch sizes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a local place that will rent me a Greenlee hyrdaulic knockout punch kit.

The dies rent separately so I wanted to rent as few dies as possible to keep costs contained.

The tube sockets will sit below the aluminum surface of the chassis so I need to accommodate not for socket diameter size but for maximum tube glass diameter.

If I'm building the Tubelab SSE I would think that I would need the following punch sizes for my aluminum chassis:

1. 2 1/2" to accommodate the KT66 (largerst power tube): max diameter is 53mm or 2.08 inches

2. 1 1/4" to accommodate the nine pin 12at7: max diameter is 7/8"

3. 2" to accommodate the GZ-34 or 5AR4: max diameter is 1.5"

Am I accurate? I was concerned about going any smaller because it could make rolling/twisting tubes on exit difficult.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Don't forget, knock-outs are sized as NPT sizes which are not the same as actual inch measurements.

Attachments

• npt to inches.PNG
    npt to inches.PNG
    25 KB · Views: 135
Joined 2011
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.