• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

PT options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay.

That looks like a nice PT you have from James. Are you using their OPT's, also?

It looks like you will also have an unused 6.3 volt secondary on your PT, so I don't see why you couldn't use that for a buck. A 6.3 volt reduction in your line voltage will be good enough, I think.

Yeah I got James OPT and a choke

1 x JS-9612-2
2 x JS-6123HS
1 x JS-10-200S

Hmmm how can I use the unused 6.3v for a buck? I took a picture of the PT's diagram.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20170905_214219-01.jpg
    IMG_20170905_214219-01.jpg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 129
I think it would be best to just use a separate transformer as the buck winding, assuming that you want to go the buck route.

After I posted my comment about using an unused secondary as the buck, I had some second thoughts about whether it would work, since all windings share a common core.

Tonight, I ran an experiment. I set up a small transformer on my bench, and fed it line voltage from a variac with a kill switch to be cautious, and used one of it's secondary windings to buck its primary. Measuring the voltage on another secondary, I was able to get both buck and boost, depending on how I connected it.

Specifically, I was measuring the 6.3 ( nominal ) secondary, which at full output from my variac produces 6.6 volts. Using a 5 volt secondary on the same core as the 6.3 volt winding, I was able to buck to 6.3 volts, and boost to 7.0 volts. So, it seemed to work about as expected, but I didn't try it under load, which might change the result.

Still, filament transformers are cheap, so there is no reason to do it an unconventional way. Just use a separate transformer - that's the safe and well established way of doing it. Others with more experience might have some better information or experimental results.

Win W5JAG

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.