• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Help with TSE Grounding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please tell me if what I am finding is normal. In trying to discover a common connection that would effect both channels a with the hum buzz I described in previous posts.

With the all the tubes disconnected and power cord off I measured the power transformer connections to the board, T1-1 through T1-8 in reference to ground. Not Neutral but Ground. Before I give the numbers I would like to mention that the ground on the board and the ground of the RCA jack and the shield for the input coax are all attached to a single ground lug on the top plate of the amp. So I am using the top plate to connect one lead of my DVM.

All the below measurements are taken from their taps to ground

the 5 Volt taps T1-2 and T1-3 and both in the mohm range - seem good

The center tap for the H.V. (T1-1)is 0 ohm or continuity (normal as per Schematic)

The H.V. taps T1-4 and T1-5 are at 178 ohm (I assume this is the resistance of the transformer plus the 100 ohm resistor I use to keep the output below 300 volts but is this indicate a problem)

The center tap T1-6 and both 6.3 volt taps T1-7 and T1-8 all measure 0 ohms resistance to ground. The center tap hear is per schematic but why would the 6.3 volt taps be grounded? Does this reflect the ground for the Sharp regulator ?

Last edited:
pic

Attachments

• DSC_0001 (1).jpg
    DSC_0001 (1).jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 116
Mkane I would like ti say that last night I added a 2.2uF poly cap from ground to the plate side of the output transformers. Measured noise at the speaker outputs went from 24 mv to 8mv. I will move the caps to the 10 ohm resistor side and see if that makes any difference. Then I will try swapping orientation of the HV leads to the board and then the 6.3 volt leads to see if that makes any change.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.