Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 24th October 2017, 02:29 AM   #31
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

I did a lot of digging through boxes in the last few days and I discovered what was likely the first ever TSE. I always make home cooked PC boards and test them before I commit a kilobuck to get professional PC boards made. The TSE was my first Tubelab PC board, so it had to be right. There were several iterations as the design was being developed but there were two identical proto boards made to prove out the layout. One of them went into my Lexan TSE. It played flawlessly from the initial build in 2005 until the power transformer fried after the amp got wet during a hurricane several years later. I replaced the proto PC board using parts from the proto board when I changed the power transformer because it had the "green growth" from copper, water, and electricity. The other board was populated, tested, and forgotten. It was in a box with a populated commercial PCB that has obviously been used, but I don't remember where.

The TSE and Tubelab story has been told several times before, but the short version is that I had never planned for the TSE, or Tubelab to be a commercial venture. I worked for Motorola for 41 years. During that time I made PC boards and basic kits for all sorts of stuff from satellite TV receivers (I found one of those boards too) to guitar amps. I also built completed amps, both solid state and tube for friends and paying customers. I built myself a little SE amp just to see what all the fuss was about, then another, then.......until I created the predecessor to the TSE. At the time (early 2000's) Motorola was booming, there were over 5000 employees in south Florida, and quite a few of them had one of my amps (guitar and HiFi). I would make myself one, let someone borrow it, and sometimes it didn't come back, cash came back instead, so I made another.

It got to the point that I couldn't make them quick enough, and another guy offered to help. The bottleneck was the home made boards, so we got 20 or so boards made by a proto board house, but they were expensive. Then someone suggested making instructions so that the technically capable (most everyone I knew) could build them. Someone suggested a web site, and Tubelab was born. Within a a year of Tubelab being launched, the economy would crash (2008) and all those people would be laid off. The SSE was already in the works, but it would be delayed.

Quote:
isolate the B+ to the power tubes, from the rest of the board?
I put those jumper pads in there for what was going to be a 3 stage monster SE amp using the TSE as the driver. Unfortunately only one would ever be built, my 845SE which is sitting on the shelf waiting for something between a power supply upgrade, and a total rebuild. There are multiple instances of exposed electricity up to 1050 volts and grandkids come here.....

Those pads actually only isolate the B+ voltage to the mosfets. The limiting factor for B+ on the board is heat and breakdown voltage in the mosfets. This jumper, and the -Vin pad next to the Fred diodes aloe operating the mosfets from an external power supply. I used +/- 150 volts in my 845 SE, and ran the TSE board from an external 500 volt supply.

To run 811A's or other big voltage tubes, build the TSE with enough power supply to generate the drive for the big tubes, then just tie the red wires from your OPT's to a power supply with enough voltage for the big tubes. That supply never needs to touch the TSE board at all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old_TSEs_x.jpg (931.3 KB, 92 views)
Old 24th October 2017, 02:33 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is that what those resistors are doing @ R18?
You need a way to measure the current through the output tubes and adjust it. Connecting a voltmeter across these resistors is a simple way to measure the current. Some builders replace the resistors with a current meter mounted on the front panel.
Old 24th October 2017, 04:54 PM   #33
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Cut, pasted, and replied in Jeff's "Removing MOSFET's" thread, so the TSE info would be archived in there ....

Win W5JAG
Old 24th October 2017, 10:53 PM   #34
craigtone is offline craigtone  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
It was so obvious that I missed it until I powered it up and starting poking around with a voltmeter and found no drain voltage on the mosfets. There is a wire jumper that supplies this voltage. It was not installed. This was not visible in the photo that you had posted since it is on the other side of the board.

I will unhook and pack the board up and send it back to you tomorrow or Wednesday.
Click the image to open in full size.

Now I feel stupid! How did we miss something so obvious when we had both boards side by side? Thanks so much for checking this out!!!! Send me a PM with what I owe ya!
Old 24th October 2017, 11:12 PM   #35
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

TSE Help!
Can hear the singing horns from here.
Old 25th October 2017, 12:06 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane77g View Post
Can hear the singing horns from here.
Soon ... VERY soon!
Old 26th October 2017, 04:32 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How did we miss something so obvious
Because it was obvious. I have made exactly the same mistake. It took me a while to figure it out, but that was probably 6 or 8 years ago, and long forgotten. The stupid mistakes that hurt are the ones you remember. Like plugging 45's into an amp wired for 5 volt filaments......POOF X 2!
Old 29th October 2017, 07:06 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

It's alive!!! The horns are a-singin'!

Thanks again George!
Old 29th October 2017, 11:33 PM   #39
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

TSE Help!
Likin it? Runnin 45's if I recall. Like mine so much I put together a pair.
Old 30th October 2017, 01:32 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane77g View Post
Likin it? Runnin 45's if I recall. Like mine so much I put together a pair.
I already have one running with CX345's this one was for my buddy who built one alongside my build. But yes, it sounds great and this one is running 45's.

TSE Help!Hide this!Advertise here!