• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Point of Diminishing Returns; B+ Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm on my second SSE. This time it's all motor run oil caps for the power supply. No electrolytics. 40uF after the tube rectifier. Then a 5H choke. And then, how many uF for the second position? I have lots of 70uF caps left from an earlier project. At what point is enough enough?

thanks for any input.

There is a point of diminishing return. That point would be different for each build / person. The main reasons would be the speaker system's sensitivity and low frequency response. You can tolerate more absolute hum output with speakers like mine that are 87db sensitive at 1Khz and are lower than that at 60 and 120 Hz.

For an average system a pair of those 70 uF's wired in parallel for the second cap should suffice. Super sensitive speakers with 15 inch woofers, use 3 if you have the room.

There was a builder on this forum several years ago that used off board non electrolytic caps for every cap in the amp. I can't remember all the details, but it was a big amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.