• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab SSE Build For Highly Efficient Klipsch Cornwalls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As the title states, I am interested in doing a tube build with the Tubelab SSE. This will be my first tube project but I do have some expereince with building speaker crossovers and speakers. What I want to accomplish is a low budget Tubelab SSE Build for my highly efficient Klipsch Cornwalls (99dbs if I remember correctly).

Has anyone built this for their Cornwall's? If so what tubes xformers etc did you use. Post some schematics pictures etc thanks.

I used a SSE with Klipsch Heresys happily for several years. I liked KT88s and EL34s the best but I don't think I gave the 6L6 a fair shake. Plenty of power in triode mode. I also liked a 5965 in the input, but 12AT7s are fine too. With the CCS load, differences are small (if not imagined). I built with GXSE15s and don't have any complaints at all.

I've since built several more amps. Eventually I also sold the Heresys and picked up a pair of Alpair 12p Super Pensils.

The SSE is still in my main system though and is still running in triode. It's a damn fine design and I'm trying my hardest to build something that can beat it.

Will this cost less than the TSE? I'm extremely happy with the unit I put together. Lot's of headroom IMO.

Are you asking me, I have no idea yet. It's gonna depend on what iron I use and if I choose to use one or two irons.

BTW what determines if a tube amp is self biased or if you have to adjust it? I definitely would like tubes that are self biased if that is what decides it.

Using a cathode resistor to raise the cathode voltage above ground (with the grid referenced to ground) makes the SSE self biased. The other common way of biasing is to use a fixed bias (which may need adjustment over time).

If you plan on using various output tubes, make sure you choose a resistor value that will keep them all within dissipation spec. Or you will want a way to switch resistors. Tubelab has some very handy charts on his website to compare operating points and resistors.

BTW what determines if a tube amp is self biased

The determination of self biased or "fixed bias" (a misnomer since you must adjust it) is made when the amp is designed. The TSE is fixed biased, and there are 4 adjustments, one for each tube. The SSE is self biased, and it is a build and play design. If assembled correctly it will work, no adjustments are needed.

As stated the SSE uses a resistor in the cathode of each output tube to establish bias. Within certain limitations you can swap tubes, even among different types without adjustment.

The TSE applies a negative voltage to the grid of each output tube to control the current. It must be adjusted on a live operating amp on initial power up and whenever a tube is changed. It should also be checked periodically particularly on a new build, or whenever tubes are changed.

The TSE uses DHT's (directly heated triodes) which are typically expensive (some are well over $100 each), and people who choose this route typically use higher priced OPT's to capture the most of the "DHT sound." It is not uncommon to spend over $1000 on a TSE build.

For high efficiency speakers most people will run an SSE in triode mode for 2 to 7 watts of power output depending on which tube and transformer set are used. The EL34 with a good quality OPT and a 375 - 0 - 375 volt power transformer is a good choice for about 5 to 7 watts of triode power. KT88's can be swapped into this design for a bit more power and a more dynamic sound with a slight loss of detail. I have one of these which saw daily use until it was destroyed during a 1200 mile move. It was my favorite amp.

While not well documented the same SSE design can be built with 6V6GT's for about 2 watts of power. A lower voltage power transformer is required (275 - 0 - 275 volts) and smaller OPTs can be used. This amp sounds very close to a $$$ 45 based TSE for about 1/3 the cost.

Tubelab_com;4940233The SSE is self biased said:
George "Tubelab" Anderson the Man the Myth the Legend. Thanks for your reply.

As stated I have some Cornwalls a very efficient speaker and would like to build an SSE Triode amp with your board (how do I purchase one?)

What I want to accomplish is about 8-10 watts without using expensive tubes (if this is possible).

What OPT would you recommend for my goals (the Edocr CXSE25-8-5K the Edcor website doesn't show the 8 the part # on the website is CXSE25-5K ) or is that overkill? If overkill can you recommend one that isn't?

And what Power Transformer should I use for this build, the Edcor XPWR035? is it a good fit for my goals.

Also what tube(s) would get me in the 8-10 watt range?

Thanks George!

For more than 7w, you can run the tubes in ultralinear (10-15w depending on tube). I built my amp with the xpwr035, iirc.

I'm happy with the gxse15 transformers but went with them partially due to chassis limitations. I think the cxse25 transformers are a popular choice. 5k primary impedance is a good all around choice.

You can buy boards from George through PayPal (no shopping cart on his site). I think he has details on an order page somewhere.

For ordering parts I like to have the board in hand as well as a print out of the schematic or bill of materials. This way I can go down the list and check off each part ordered. The board is good to have to check lead spacing and overall part size.

This is fantastic advice!!

I do the same. When ordering from a list I cross the part of the schematic with a highliter. Having the board and double checking lead space and component footprint is essential in perfect part ordering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.